Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege M400: no wide screen external resolution (1360x768)

1. Portege M400: no wide screen external resolution (1360x768)
    Beginner
    I'm trying to get an external LCD TV with native resolution 1360x768 connected to the external VGA port of my Toshiba Portege M400. This only works with an external resolution of 1024x768. Wide screen resolutions are just not available in the graphics options. I tried this also using Powerstrip, but I did not manage to get it to 1360x768. With another laptop I did.

According to the specifications of the Intel 945GM chipset, it should support wide screen resolutions. It seems to be just a shortcoming of the Toshiba drivers. Is there any solution to this problem?
    Marijn

2. Re: Portege M400: no wide screen external resolution (1360x768)
    Hi Marijn

I saw the other posting where you have posted about the same theme and unfortunately; there is nothing to do!
    It seems that the driver doesnít support this resolution. Not every screen resolution is listed in the graphic drivers.
    If the graphic driver doesnít support your favorite resolution so you have no much possibilities. You have to choose and to use a available screen resolution.

3. Re: Portege M400: no wide screen external resolution (1360x768)
    Beginner
    Hi Eldorado,

Thanks for you response. I hope Toshiba will adjust their driver in near future. I can imagine that I am not the only one with this problem, especially with increasingly popular wide screen 19"+ computer LCD's. Is there a way to put a request for this feature at Toshiba?

4. Re: Portege M400: no wide screen external resolution (1360x768)
    I donít think that Toshiba has something to do with INTEL graphic card drivers.
    On the Toshiba page you can download the Intel graphic driver. Therefore if you want to send any requests so I think you have to send it to Intel.

But in my opinion I donít think that somebody from Intel or anywhere will create a driver especially for you. But I wish you good luck.
    I think we have to use the available common resolutions.

5. Re: Portege M400: no wide screen external resolution (1360x768)
    Beginner
    The problem is not with the Intel driver. Toshiba makes its own drivers for the graphics chip. The default Intel driver cannot be installed on the Toshiba laptop. Apparently, the chip (or the way it is used) is slightly modified from the way the Intel driver expects it.

6. Re: Portege M400: no wide screen external resolution (1360x768)
    Beginner
    The problem with the resolutions for the external monitors has been solved. The new BIOS for Vista (v3.1.0) supports various resolutions for external displays in various aspect ratios. I have been successful in displaying on a LCD-Tv with native resolution 1360x768 now. Thanks for all the suggestions and help. The problem has been solved!

7. Re: Portege M400: no wide screen external resolution (1360x768)
    Master
    Hi Marijin

Good news! Thanks for your report. It is very useful information.