Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege M400. BIOS update V 1.8

1. Portege M400. BIOS update V 1.8
    Christophe
    Has anyone tried this new update ?
    I was put off by the wording on the disclaimer.
    It seems that in order to cut down on constant fan use the price to pay will be a hotter computer.
    Is that going to affect the computer life time ?
    Also, as it is a "stand alone" update, is it possible to undo the changes and revert to a previous version if necessary ?
    Finally, is the increased heat on the base of the unit going to make it uncomfortable to work with as a tablet ?
    Thanks for feed back.

2. Re: Portege M400. BIOS update V 1.8
    Beginner
    Hi

Yes I have updated my m400 to version 1.8 and No it does not run that hot im currently suing speed fan to monitor the temp and its stable at 38 degrees - with BIOS set to cooling - battery optimised, its very quite now! thats what i wanted as the fan for me was just to loud for such a small laptop. I went from 1.4 straight to 1.8 didnt do 1.7.
    I still find however the power saver dosent do much in terms of the fan speed, but at least we know there was an issue and they have identified it in the BIOS release.
    HTH
    Akbar

3. Re: Portege M400. BIOS update V 1.8
    Master
    Hi

I have found info that Toshiba has designed new special BIOS update V1.80W with a noise improvement in idle mode and low CPU load mode. This should help and the Portege M400 will run much quietly. It is possible that the lower FAN speed will result in higher temperatures on user touchable areas such as palm rest or base cover. Probably it will be just a few degrees Celsius but nothing serious.