Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege M400 keeps freezing

1. Portege M400 keeps freezing
    Beginner
    I recenlty purchased a Portege M400 and this completely freezes and requires a hard reboot at least once a day - any ideas on how to fix this?

2. Re: Portege M400 keeps freezing
    Master
    Hi

Do you use the Toshiba preinstalled image or did you install the OS manually?
    Do you use any 3rd party software?

I don't know if it helps but sometimes a high temperature could be responsible for the notebook freezing.
    In most cases the cooling modules cannot work properly because of bad air circulation.
    Please be sure that you have enough space around the notebook and the fans are clean.

Furthermore you could check the Power saver settings which allow you to change the CPU processing speed and cooling method.

If it doesn't help so I would recommend asking the Toshiba service partner for the further help and diagnostic.
    I assume the Portege M400 is a new unit and the warranty should be valid.

3. Re: Portege M400 keeps freezing
    Master
    Hi

On this way it is not easy to say why this happen but be sure that unit is preinstalled and configured on right way. I presume that there is some software problem.

There is no universal solution and try to find out why this happen. I am pretty sure that some of your personal applications and configuration is responsible for that. Like I said it is not easy to say and we can just speculate about that.

4. Re: Portege M400 keeps freezing
    Christophe
    Hi Michael,
    I had the same problem.
    You should first make sure that your system is accepted by the machine as working properly:
    - check the device manager for faulty drivers.
    - fully update Windows.
    - run a scandisk at startup.
    - run a full virus and spyware/malware check.
    - run a full defragmentation.
    Once you've done all that, check your BIOS version. The current BIOS is version 1.5. The one installed on your machine (if preinstalled) should be 1.4.
    If you have version 1.4, go to the update page for your model, download the Windows based BIOS upgrade and unzip it to a convenient location.
    VERY IMPORTANT: make sure your computer is in boot mode (and not in resume mode) and that all security software has been disabled before proceeding with the upgrade. You should also temporarily disable the screen saver and disconnect from the internet (to make sure that no other automatic update is running in the background).
    When you are satisfied that your computer is completely idle, double click on the exe file and do not touch anything until the machine has performed a full reboot.
    There are other updates available on the site, but proceed with caution and only update a driver (ie display driver) if you are unsatisfied with it. If the machine is working fine after the BIOS upgrade, I suggest leaving it as it is.
    Good luck.

5. Re: Portege M400 keeps freezing
    Beginner
    I think I have found the problem. The problem seems to be with the vidoe card driver. I believe one opf the problems it fixes is the problem described here (the same problem my m400 haas along with those of 300 other students at Virginia Tech who were required to purchase these for our freshmen year)

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=N&ProductID=2301&DwnldID=1200 3&strOSs=83&OSFullName=Windows*%20XP%20Tablet%20PC %20Edition&lang=eng