Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege M200 with external monitor - what's the best resolution?

1. Portege M200 with external monitor - what's the best resolution?
    Beginner
    Following up a recent post about using an external monitor with the M400, I have a query about using one with the M200. I realise that the M200 uses the Nvidia graphics adapter rather than the Intel graphics adapter in the M400 - is this better as far as using an external display is concerned? The M200 manual says it will support up to 1600 x 1536 resolution on an external display. I want to use my M200 in a docking station with an external monitor on extended desktop.

What would be the best resolution to go for with the external? Should I go for 1400 x 1050 to match the M200 LCD display? Or could I go for a 1600 x 1200 which the graphics adapter should (!) be able to cope with? Or, finally, if I went for a 1680 x 1050 widescreen, how would the Nvidia adapter cope? Would the display be as clear as with the 1600 x 1050 screen?

What are the chances of it working at all? I see in the M400 manual that it is supposed to support 2048 x 1536 on an external monitor but this seems to be a problem judging from the other post.

Any help appreciated - thanks

2. Re: Portege M200 with external monitor - what's the best resolution?
    Master
    Hi

Well, the screen resolution depends firstly from the graphic card.
    If you want to use any display resolution the graphic card must support it. Furthermore the graphic card driver is important. If the graphic card will support the screen resolution BUT the resolution is not listed in the graphic card driver so you will be not able to choose this value.

In my knowledge if you use the docking station you will get supported display resolutions like on the notebook.
    The external display resolution depends also on the external monitor. If the monitor hardware will not support the resolution so you will be not able to get any pictures on the external monitor.

I think the best way is to test what resolution is the best. Some people prefers the high resolution with small icons and other “blind man” ;) loves the low resolutions (1024x768) because of the big icons

3. Re: Portege M200 with external monitor - what's the best resolution?
    Beginner
    Thanks for the reply. I am planning on buying a new external monitor and would like to be reasonably sure it will work before I shell out hard-earned £s!
    I'm concerned that you say using a docking station may limit to resolutions available. It says nothing in the documentation for the docking station so I was assuming that the information in the M200 manual was correct - how can I find out if there are limitations in using the docking station?
    Any ideas?

4. Re: Portege M200 with external monitor - what's the best resolution?
    The best way is to try it.
    I assume the docking station will support the resolution which is available on the notebook. The resolution depends on the notebook resolution restrictions.