Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite P30 doesn't boot but shows power on LED and fans working

1. Satellite P30 doesn't boot but shows power on LED and fans working
    Beginner
    I'm working on a P30, cleaned heatsink, reapplied new thermal compound, worked fine for a few hours, then it switched off and now the power LED lights, fans turn, cd rom works, but that's it, no display, no boot, nothing.

Any ideas on how to resolve this would be a great help.

Specs

P30
    P4 3.2 ht
    1 gig ram, tested.
    xp pro

2. Re: Satellite P30 doesn't boot but shows power on LED and fans working
    Master
    Hi

On this way it is not easy to say what the problem can be and just right investigation can helps but according to your description I am afraid that there is some critical hardware damage. It can be something wrong with power supply (motherboard) or maybe is the CPU burned out if you have done something wrong with thermal compound.

Sorry but I think you should contact service partner in your country and check it properly.

3. Re: Satellite P30 doesn't boot but shows power on LED and fans working
    Beginner
    Cheers for the reply, if it was a power supply problem then would the fans and led work?
    I assume they take their power from the board as they are mounted on the board. They are working on this.
    Cpu tested fine.

Thermal compound was baked to power when I first opened this laptop.
    I cleaned it and reapplied good compound.
    Don't see how it worked fine for a few hours after first fix and then stop working again.
    I beginning to think needs a mainboard, but don't want to go there yet until all angles have been exhausted.

4. Re: Satellite P30 doesn't boot but shows power on LED and fans working
    I would also say that there could be something wrong with the CPU.
    A similar case was happened to me but on the desktop PC.
    It was a CPU malfunction.

However, we can only suggest about the issue and if you want to be 100% sure about the fault I would recommend contacting the technician for checking the notebook.