Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite 2430-301: Cannot use 2200BG WLan card because switch is off

1. Satellite 2430-301: Cannot use 2200BG WLan card because switch is off
    Beginner
    Hi there,

I have a Satellite 2430-301 which was not deliverd with any WLAN capabilities. But I discovered, that there is a MiniPCI slot in the laptop.

So I bought an Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG MiniPCI card. After I attached the card into the laptop, it was detected by windows as a new network device. I downloaded and installed the Windows XP drivers (because I have Windows XP installed on the Laptop) from Intel's homepage (9.0.4.17). The installation worked perfecly.

Now I tried to connect to a wireless network, but the Intel software said, that the card is 'off'. So I switched the drop down menu to 'on', which resulted in an german error: "Die Intel(R) PRO/Wireless-Netzwerkverbindung ist noch deaktiviert. Aktivieren Sie sie über Ihren Hardware-Schalter." (which means something like "The Intel(R) PRO/Wireless network connection is deactivated. Activate it with your hardware switch.").

Although the switch already was in position 'on', I switched it several times - nothing important happend. The LED light near the switch doesn't light in either position.

Are there any incompatibility issues between "Toshiba Satellite 2430-301" and "Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG"?

Did I do something wrong?

Is this damn hardware switch broken?

Any suggestions?

I would really be happy, if someone could help me :)

Thanks in advance,
    thuriel

2. Re: Satellite 2430-301: Cannot use 2200BG WLan card because switch is off
    Hi

The hardware switch led should lights if the switch is on.
    Furthermore if you want to use the WLan you have to switch to WLan option with FN+F8.
    Additionally you should check the WLan card properties in the device manager. There you should enter the advanced tab. In the field “property” choose the option “radio on/off” and select the value to on.

3. Re: Satellite 2430-301: Cannot use 2200BG WLan card because switch is off
    Beginner
    I now pressed Fn+F8 several times. The laptop did not react.

In the property box in the advanced tab in the 2200BG properties there is only:

Ad Hoc Channel
    Mixed mode protection
    Power Management
    Preamble Mode
    Roaming Aggressiveness
    Throughput Enhancement
    Transmit Power
    Wireless Mode

...so there is no "radion on/off".

The LED light remains off, no matter what I do.

4. Re: Satellite 2430-301: Cannot use 2200BG WLan card because switch is off
    Beginner
    So, no ideas anymore? :(

5. Re: Satellite 2430-301: Cannot use 2200BG WLan card because switch is off
    Beginner
    Hi thuriel,

sorry that I cannot help you with this. The only thing I think I can say for sure is, that your hardware switch seems to be ok, because I have the same problem here with Windows and Linux and I also own a 2430-301.

Bye
    Sven

6. Re: Satellite 2430-301: Cannot use 2200BG WLan card because switch is off
    Beginner
    > So I bought an Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG MiniPCI
    > card.

Maybe you bought a non Toshiba mini-pci card. If so, you can try isolating pin 11 and pin 13. Your card may work. (But, as I have understood, your hardware switch may not work.) I think the best is to buy a Toshiba mini-pci card listed as compatible to your laptop.

7. Re: Satellite 2430-301: Cannot use 2200BG WLan card because switch is off
    Beginner
    I have an A15-S1692and had the same trouble . The fix is to put a small piece of tape over pin 13 of the Intel card. Your switch will not work but it will turn on the wifi card.

8. Re: Satellite 2430-301: Cannot use 2200BG WLan card because switch is off
    Beginner
    Hi all,

thank you very much for your replies. Unfortunately I gave up last saturday. I brought back the card and purchased a PCMCIA card. I wonder wether the taping of pin 13 would have helped, well ...I think i'll never know... :/

Sorry about those reward points I gave to you. I just clicked around a bit without knowing what I did :D

So, thanks again :)
    thuriel