Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite 4090 BIOS issue - "Ready for BIOS update..." message appears

1. Satellite 4090 BIOS issue - "Ready for BIOS update..." message appears
    Beginner
    Hi All ! Excuse my poor english because i'm french.

A friend gives me his Notebook (a Satellite 4090CDS exactly) because he had a probleme.
    In fact, the problem is that when I switch on the computer, i have one and only one message(not even the red toshiba logo) which is "Ready for BIOS update. Place the BIOS update diskette in the drive, and press any key when ready to proceed."

So I go on french toshiba website, in the BIOS download, i find that i have to download this update: http://support.toshiba-tro.de/tools/bios/satellite/4030-4060-100/bios_820.zip

Ok, i download and unzip it to a diskette and i boot the notebook with the disjette, it said that the update was made successfully and automatically reboot.
    This time, the red toshiba logo appears, but next i have a black screen with a message:

**** Bad check sum (CMOS) ****
    Check system. Then press [F1] key.

And after that, i can't do anything, not even press F1. If i reboot the notebook, i meet myself one more time with the first message "Ready for BIOS update..." and it is still and still the same.

If anyone could help me to understand what is the problem, it would be very nice.
    Thanks.

Bastien.

2. Re: Satellite 4090 BIOS issue - "Ready for BIOS update..." message appears
    It sounds as if your CMOS chip has a problem. Itís possible that the CMOS battery has failed and your BIOS settings are being lost.
    Maybe the RTC battery is empty. In this case you should plug the AC adaptor to charge the RTC battery.
    Please note that the RTC battery (CMOS battery) will charge after the notebook main battery was fully charged. In this case the charging procedure could take several hours.

But if after this long charging procedure this message appears again so I assume the battery is dead.
    I suggest you contact your nearest ASP to get your notebook checked.

3. Re: Satellite 4090 BIOS issue - "Ready for BIOS update..." message appears
    Beginner
    Thanks for reply, Markus.
    I'll plug the AC Adaptor all the night, and i'll see tomorrow.

If it doesn't work, i'll contact a professional.

4. Re: Satellite 4090 BIOS issue - "Ready for BIOS update..." message appears
    Hope it helps
    Let me know if the charging procedure was successful or not

5. Re: Satellite 4090 BIOS issue - "Ready for BIOS update..." message appears
    Beginner
    Hi !
    So I wait until this hour before check one more time the BIOS update, but, regrettably, it still dosen't work, with same problem.

6. Re: Satellite 4090 BIOS issue - "Ready for BIOS update..." message appears
    Beginner
    hi there you could try this http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_dtlView.jsp?soid=691202
    hope it helps :)