Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Cannot load device driver for DVD/CDRW - Satellite 1110

1. Cannot load device driver for DVD/CDRW - Satellite 1110
    Beginner
    I have a Satellite 1110 and something has gone wrong with my DVD/CDRW and it will not read any CDs. It is reported as a MAT****A UJDA730 DVD/CDRW but the device status comes up as:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the device but the error just returns. I cannot find a driver for it either on the manufacturer's web site or Toshiba's. I don't want to use the Product Recovery CD-ROM as it implies I will lose all software and data on the hard drive.

Can someone advise how to recover from this situation?

Thanks

2. Re: Cannot load device driver for DVD/CDRW -Satellite 1110
    Hi

Firstly you donít any driver for the CD/DVD drive. The drive uses the standard Windows OS driver and itís not necessary to install it additional.
    I assume there could be something wrong with the registry entry.

Please check this forum posting:
    http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=13843

The user has used the instruction which was offered on the Microsoft site.
    This should help.

Please post again if this method was successful.

3. Re: Cannot load device driver for DVD/CDRW -Satellite 1110
    Beginner
    Having followed all the way through to Microsoft I have one small problem. Microsoft advise backing up before editing the Registry and with Windows XP Backup is not part of the standard install. As a result I need to install it from the Product Recovery CD-ROM (can I use that without rebuilding my laptop?) and I can't use that when my CD drive won't work. Is there some freeware tool somewhere that I can use before performing open-heart surgery on my laptop's registry?

4. Re: Cannot load device driver for DVD/CDRW - Satellite 1110
    Beginner
    I found ERUNT on the web and used that to give me a safety net. Modified the registry and, lo and behold, the drive reappeared as if by magic.

Thanks for the advice.