Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite M30: Where to get a recovery CD?

1. Satellite M30: Where to get a recovery CD?
    Beginner
    I am currently looking for Toshiba Satellite M30 users for help with a specific problem with my laptop that for various reasons can't be posted in full detail here. I would be extremely grateful if some users could e-mail me at JoRoSaR [at] GMail.com. Apologies for the mystery, I'll reply to all e-mails.

Thanks! :)

2. Re: Satellite M30: Where to get a recovery CD?
    Master
    Hello

I wonder why you don't post your question and why it's so mysterious? ;)
    Maybe somebody here can help you.

3. Re: Satellite M30: search for users with the same problem
    Beginner
    Well there are quite a few problems right now but here are 2 of them:

1. Toshiba Hong Kong (where I bought my Satellite M30) have told me that they will refuse to supply me with a recovery CD which means I need to find a recovery CD from another Satellite M30 user if I want one.

2. I am attempting to reinstall Windows with Windows XP Pro, but after I started installing Windows, for some reason it rejects the Windows CD Key on the bottom of my laptop! Why, and how can I fix it? (Yes they are XP Pro for sure not XP Home)

4. Re: Satellite M30: Where to get a recovery CD?
    Master
    Hi

I have read many postings in this forum about similar issues and it seems that:

Firstly if you want to get the Toshiba recovery CD you have to contact the Toshiba ASP in your country. There you can order this recovery CD. You can order the Toshiba recovery CD only with the same OS and also in the same language which was preinstalled on the delivered unit.

In this case if WinXp Home was preinstalled you will get only the Win XP Home recovery CD.

Secondly the key at the bottom of the unit is a OEM key and you cannot use it on the different OS. It's not possible and it will NOT work.

5. Re: Satellite M30: Where to get a recovery CD?
    Beginner
    If I bought my laptop in Hong Kong (I have been told it's a SINGAPORE model but whether that means it was made in Singapore or made to be sold in Singapore I don't know). I bought it from a good reputation electronics store.

However, I've called Chevalier iTech Group (Hong Kong's Toshiba Repair Centre) and they refuse to give me a new recovery CD because they say it is illegal to do so.

Can you please tell me who I need to contact? I am in the UK (Britain) but I bought my laptop in Hong Kong. Can you tell me exactly who to contact, because everybody I've talked to so far has told me I can't get a new CD.

6. Re: Satellite M30: Where to get a recovery CD?
    Master
    Hi

I'm not sure if you will be able to order the recovery CD in the UK for this unit because you have bought it in hong kong but you can try to contact the ASP in UK and explain him the situation.
    The right ASP you should find here:
    http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_gaspLocator.jsp?pf=true

7. Re: Satellite M30: Where to get a recovery CD?
    Beginner
    I have called several of these people from this list (in the UK) and all of them simply refer me to Toshiba's US 1-800 number which turns out to be useless.
    Also the Hong Kong ASP still shows as Chevalier who have already told me that for legal reasons they cannot supply me with a recovery CD (does anyone know why?)

Therefore is it possible to give me a contact that can for sure supply recovery CDs? Because UK or Hong Kong, everyone seems to say it is impossible except this board lol :P

8. Re: Satellite M30: Where to get a recovery CD?
    Master
    Well, I think you cannot get the CD because you have bought the unit not in the UK and it's NOT a UK notebook.
    Now you can install the OS form original Microsoft CD and then you can download all necessary drivers and utilities form the Toshiba driver page.

9. Re: Satellite M30: Where to get a recovery CD?
    Beginner
    Cannot, because the Windows is an OEM version and Microsoft CD is a Retail version. The CD key will not work.

10. Re: Satellite M30: Where to get a recovery CD?
    Master
    Hi

Of course you cannot use the OEM key.
    I mean you have to purchase the original Microsoft Windows CD and there you will find key. Then you can install the Toshiba drivers.

Unfortunately, there is no other solution