Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege 4000: WIFI cannot pickup in the device manager

1. Portege 4000: WIFI cannot pickup in the device manager
    Beginner
    PLEASE COULD SOMEONE HELP ME WITH MY WIFI DEVICE.MY LAPTOP WILL NOT PICK IT UP
    ON THE DEVICE MENU.IVE UPGRADED MY BIOS TO 2.10.AND STILL NO LUCK.IVE TRYED DOWNLOADING
    THE DRIVERS,AND CHECKED THAT ITS FITTED PROPERLY.ALSO THE ANTENNA LIGHT IS ORANGE WHEN ON.
    THANK U.

2. Re: Portege 4000: WIFI cannot pickup in the device manager
    Master
    Hello

If the WiFi orange light is on it doesn?t mean that WLAN is activated. If I am remember well your unit has also Bluetooth and using FN F8 key combination you can switch between WiFi and BT. Please check it. It is possible that WLAN card is disabled.

3. Re: Portege 4000: WIFI cannot pickup in the device manager
    Beginner
    I CANT PICKUP THE BLUETOOTH DEVICE UP ALSO.ITS BEEN RELOADED WITH XP SP2.AND EVERY TIME I INSTALL
    BTOOTH STACK I CANT PICK ANY UP???

4. Re: Portege 4000: WIFI cannot pickup in the device manager
    Master
    Hi

On this way it is not easy to say what happen there. If WiFi and BT are original parts I recommend you to use recovery media and preinstall the unit and set it to factory settings.

Just after that check if WLAN card is listed in device manager and check the functionality. BT card will be listed after switching BT ON using FN F8 key combination. Just in this case the BT device will be installed and listed in device manager properly.

If with factory settings problem still persists, the unit should be check by service partner. When I could have your unit in front of me maybe it will be possible to say more.

By the way: sorry but if your description contains two sentences and the most important info is ?I can not pick it up? there is really not possible to give you more answers. Maybe a more detailed description (device manager status, what happen with FN F8) can help for further opinions.

5. Re: Portege 4000: WIFI cannot pickup in the device manager
    Beginner
    HAVENT GOT RECOVERY CD, LAPTOP WAS BOUGHT ON EBAY.
    MY SYSTEM HAS BEEN UPGRADED WITH CLEAN INSTALATION OF XP SP2.
    WIFI AND BLUETOOTH WAS LISTED IN DEVICE MANAGER BEFORE INSTALATION.

NONE OFF THE DEVICES SHOW UP NOW, THE COM PORT1 HAS A YELLOW MARK AND ALSO ON MY SMC IRCC INFRARED PORT. NOT HAD ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THESE FORUMS,
    SO PLEASE BE PATIENT.
    THANK U

6. Re: Portege 4000: WIFI cannot pickup in the device manager
    Master
    Hello

I will be very patient with you and write that on this way it is not easy to give a right ?diagnostic?. I will talk with you with simply words.

If the hardware components are not shown after SP2 installation, try to remove it and check what happen after that. Usually SP2 installation should not have negative influence. Accordint to the Toshiba documentation just BT stack should be updated.

If you can not handle with this problem I recommend you to preinstall unit again and install drivers, tools and utilities step by step. If you have updated BIOS and tried all drivers without success I don?t see other solution as ?cleaning? reinstallation again.

Good luck!