Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite 1805-S274: Can't reformat by using the Recovery CD!

1. Satellite 1805-S274: Can't reformat by using the Recovery CD!
    Beginner
    I am trying to reformat my Toshiba 1805-s274 notebook, using the Toshiba Recovery Disk, but it won't work! The computer makes an attempt to read the disk (which is in good condition-not damaged).
    It goes to the "Welcome To Toshiba Recovery Utility" screen, then when I press F1 to continue, it goes to the "Warning-Are You Sure You Really Want To Do This?" screen. When I press "C" to continue, it just goes back to the Toshiba start-up screen.

It keeps doing this cycle, but nothing else. I have been having problems with my Windows Registry being attacked. Have they won the battle?

Please help! Thanks.

2. Re: Satellite 1805-S274: Can't reformat by using the Recovery CD!
    Master
    Hi

Usually it should be possible to recover the unit with the Toshiba recover CD without any problems. Possibly there is an error on the HDD.
    You should try to format the HDD without using the Toshiba recovery CD.
    After the formatting try to use the recover CD again

3. Re: Satellite 1805-S274: Can't reformat by using the Recovery CD!
    Hi

if you are a bit experienced in the DOS-world you should be able to abort the process at the first prompt from the Recovery CD.
    Abort by pressing CTRL + BREAK.
    From this place I would recommend you to use the tool included, probably FDISK or GDISK, to remove the partition manually.
    Note!!! You probably already know that ALL data is lost! Everything!
    After this, reboot the machine and retry the recovery again.

Since this unit is (probably) a US model it might be that the recovery procedure is a bit different than the European ones so the tools included might be different.

Good luck

Tom

4. Re: Satellite 1805-S274: Can't reformat by using the Recovery CD!
    Master
    I agree with Tom. It seems itís a notebook designed for US market.
    I think the recovery procedure is a little bit different as on the European notebooks.
    But firstly try to format the HDD