Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Libretto U100: Creating a bootable SD ram card with Toshiba Boot Utility

1. Libretto U100: Creating a bootable SD ram card with Toshiba Boot Utility
    Beginner
    I'm trying to create a bootable SD ram card using "TOSHIBA SD Memory Boot Utility".

I do not have a floppy drive so I use img/vfd image files created on another computer.
    In both cases I get a window that say "TSDBOOT This is unsupported format", so what is unsupported, my img/vfd file or my SD ram card???

I have tried with 8MB and 256MB SD cards, both formatted using "TOSHIBA SD Memory Card Format".

NB: Before I begin using Partition Magic on the disk and install Linux, I would like to have a rescue floppy (using SD card instead of floppy to rescue boot WinXp).

2. Re: Libretto U100: Creating a bootable SD ram card with Toshiba Boot Utility
    Enthusiast
    Hi

I dint make much experiments but I presume that img/vfd file is not supported. Like you know the all newer units are delivered without floppy drive and you can use SD card for BIOS update or even to save the password.

Please check advanced search on this forum and you will find a few interesting discussions about similar theme.

3. Re: Libretto U100: Creating a bootable SD ram card with Toshiba Boot Utility
    Beginner
    TOSHIBA SD Memory Boot Utility let you choose betweeen floppy drive or a IMG/VFD/FLP image file as boot image to put on SD card. None of the IMG and VFD files I have used work.

By searching forums I now found out that it's possible to extract "Arnes Boot Record.img" from the Recovery DVD using IsoBuster. TOSHIBA SD Memory Boot Utility have no problems putting this on SD card, so I asume you can modify this image to include other kind of files, f.ex. create a Windows startup SD card or a Linux boot SD card.

This morning I bought USB floppy drive, so I do not need SD boot so much now, I will experiment more with it later, easier to have a couple of SD cards in your bag than a portable floppy drive.

It would have been great if TOSHIBA added some notes about what kinds of images files you can use.