Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite A10 wireless problem

1. Satellite A10 wireless problem
    Beginner
    Hi! I have Satellite A10 with built-in wireless running Windows XP Professional. I was trying desparately to make the built-in wireless communication running but with no success. Windows locates two "Base System Device" and I suspect that one of them is the wireless. I tried installing the various wireless drivers that are supplied with the CDs for the laptop but so far with no success - Windows refuses to accept these drivers for the unknown devices. Any idea what I am doing wrong? I downloaded the latest wireless drivers for A10 but nothing changed. A friend of mine suggested that the BIOS should contain a setting for enabling/disabling wireless, but I could not find such setting in the BIOS. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Re: Satellite A10 wireless problem
    Beginner
    Hi,
    at first are you absolute sure that your machine has Wifi preinstalled ?

To get sure about this you could give me the complete Modelnumber or the Serialnumber.

So I have the chance to look for the installed hardware.

thx & bye

3. Re: Satellite A10 wireless problem
    Beginner
    Hi,
    I will copy exactly what I can found as serials number at the bottom of the laptop:
    Toshiba Satellite A10
    Model Number PSA10E-01SZZ-G3
    Serial Number X3870097G
    Hope this helps. :-)

4. Re: Satellite A10 wireless problem
    Hi

I have an answer and a recommendation for You.
    The machine You have is not equipped with a Wireless Lan from factory. Maybe it has been customized but that is not known to me.
    So that is the answer to Your wifi-question.

My recommendation is based upon what You write in Your message:
    " Windows XP Professional. I was trying desparately to make the built-in wireless communication running but with no success. Windows locates two "Base System Device"
    This smells of a non-Toshiba installation and that not all essential drivers are in place.
    The below will not give You wifi, but maybe keep You from getting a headache later on when using your machine.
    It is very important to install some of the drivers and add-ons from Toshiba after You've installed a 'clean' Windows OS. Otherwise You might end up, in the best case, with devices just not working or seeming 'dead'. The worst case is that the computer will give you random blue-screens that seems to be totally non-understandable.
    So, the medicine is to get hold of Your Tools & Utiltiles CD-ROM (was shipped with your computer) insert it, choose a language from the ones listed, look at and follow the list of drivers that is displayed. The order in which they are installed is in some cases imperative. And in some cases, normally later in the list (you will for sure spot some of them easily) quite optional.

Hope this helps!

BR Tom

Message was edited by: Mannerhagen Tom

5. Re: Satellite A10 wireless problem
    Enthusiast
    Hi,

I had looked up if in your notebook Wifi is installed, but I have to disappoint you because you model is only Wifi prepared! i.e. your notebook has the Wifi On/Off switcher, a built in antenna, but no Wifi card.

You could order the following MiniPCI cards for using the Wifi PA3212U-4MPC or PA3273U-2MPC!

Bye TOK