Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege M400 fan noise

1. Portege M400 fan noise
    Beginner
    I have a new Portege M400. The fan runs continuously even when the computer is booted from cold. The CPU is definitley not running hot enough to need the fan. None of the settings in the TOSHIBA Power Saver cause the fan to turn off, even the Long Life setting. Is this a BIOS problem? Or a hardware failure? Or what?

2. Re: Portege M400 fan noise
    Hi

Did you use the Toshiba image?
    I have found information that on some units the BIOS update benefits the Toshiba Power Saver features. What you can do is to check the installed BIOS version on the unit and compare it with the available version on the Toshiba page.

However, I would recommend also reinstalling the power saver. Check if new version is available. You can also try to clean the fans. Mostly this procedure helps.

3. Re: Portege M400 fan noise
    Beginner
    Markus,

This is a straight-out-of-the-box Portege M400 which arrived only a few days ago, with the image on the HD.

I'm disappointed with the vast number of add-ons and optional software that Toshiba has pre-installed -- as if I'd even want MSN search toolbar! -- so maybe something in the software is conflicting.

I trust the BIOS is the is latest as the computer is less than a week old and direct from Toshiba. I'll shut down and reboot to find out.

The fans won't be dirty.

Is is just my M400 that has this problem? If so I can get it fixed. But if the problem is with all M400's, I'll have to send it back.

Does anyone have an M400 where the fan only comes on when the computer is hot?

-ne

4. Re: Portege M400 fan noise
    Beginner
    Further info:
    The installed BIOS is ACPI BIOS 1.40

The latest update is 1.30 -- which sounds like an older one. Maybe the older one has the fan tuning off when the CPU is cool? Hmm... If I install 1.30 and it doesn't work, how would I get back to 1.40 as it is not on the Toshiba BIOS update site?

The Power Saver is version 7.08.00 -- which is the latest. I reinstalled it anyway and no change: the fan stays on.

-ne

Message was edited by: nedwards9820

5. Re: Portege M400 fan noise
    Hi again

As far as I know itís not possible to downgrade the BIOS.
    In you case itís not possible to install BIOS 1.3 if the 1.4 was already installed.

6. Re: Portege M400 fan noise
    Beginner
    I have a M400 and i'm using the same version of power saver (7.08.00) and i have left the original bios on (1.40) and the fan seems to be changing according to somthing (doesn't nececrally seem to be heat related but that most probably is because of my power saving settings)

p.s. msn search bar wasn't installed when i got my laptop but it did have a shortcut on my desktop to the installer on my haerd disk

7. Re: Portege M400 fan noise
    Beginner
    The fan on this M400 does have variious setting -- noisy amd noisier for instance -- that seem to vary depending on CPU temp. It just does not have a fan OFF setting when the CPU is not doing much. The air temp from the fan outlet is _always_ low (compared to my M200).

My power saver settings make no difference to the fan at all. For instance, even on max battery saving, the fan runs (and unnecessarily drains the battery).

-ne

8. Re: Portege M400 fan noise
    Master
    Hi

Just small comment: The fact is that latest and newest units are very powerfully and if you check carefully you will see that there are lots of active processes, much more than on previous units with older hardware architecture.

CPU is maybe doesnít doing much but it is always ďbusyĒ and produce a warmness. Power OFF option for cooling fan can be very dangerous because on this way the hardware can not be cooled properly. The result is overheating and suddenly shutdown or even hardware damage.

9. Re: Portege M400 fan noise
    Beginner
    Andrej,

You can tell from the coolness of the air from the vents that the fan is not needed 100% of the time.

Toshiba technical support today asked me if the fan operates when the computer is booted only to the BIOS screen. It was working with BIOS screen up. It shoudn't be. They are going to take the laptop back an repair it.

10. Re: Portege M400 fan noise
    Master
    Hi again Nicholas

When you get the notebook again can you please tell me what they have repaired?
    I have noticed that on many new Toshiba notebooks cooling fan starts to work just a few seconds after pressing power button with high speed and after short time it is quiet again.

As far as I know there is no hardware malfunction at all. I am very interested about repair results and please give us some feed back when you have your unit again.

Thanks and good luck!

11. Re: Portege M400 fan noise
    Beginner
    i've looked at what you say and min's the same although i've never thought of it as much as i like having a cool laptop rather than a lap warmer, but when i have the laptop with the processor running in processing speed 2 it would be nice for the fan to shut off when it's not needed but at the moment i have more pressing matters (like the screen not powering back up after going into powersaving mode) and i beleive that the fan isn't necessarily designed to power off (just slow down) so i don't see the fault in that (but i'd have to admit if it did at least slow down more when it isn't needed then the battery would most probably last a bit longer but maybe there's a 3rd party app out there that can do that)

12. Re: Portege M400 fan noise
    Beginner
    Hi,
    I had the same problem with my Laptop Toshiba L100 T2300 Core Duo and I somehow dealt with it so i think I should post my solution here.
    So, frome the beginnig as I bought this notebook the fan would work quite normally - it would turn on every now and then starting with higher rpm and the slowing down to eventually stop. But after I upgraded the bios to 2.1 (I'm not really sure if this was the real cause) the fan wouldn't turn off it was constantly working at the lower speed and the air wasn't even warm.
    I was really dissapointet, because my old hp with 2400 AMD onboard was much more quiet than my new toshiba.
    And now to my solution.
    What I did was:
    1. got rid of all the Toshiba programms from the startup --> using msconfig
    2. I did remove the TBSMain.exe from the startup too, which is responsible for the power management.
    3. I restarted the comp and... the fan stoped as soon as the win xp logo had appeared.
    4. Since I wasn't sure if it wouldnn't damage my laptop I turned the TBSMain.exe in msconfig back on and the fan started to work nomrally that is did actually turn of :))

I'm not sure what exactly was the cause for this but it did help me, so maybe it will help somebody else too.

PS I really recommend a programm called RM Clock. With this small Utility you can adjust the voltage and speed of the processor thus reducing the fan noise.

I hope this message will help someone.