Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege M400 - always running fan at 100%

1. Portege M400 - always running fan at 100%
    Beginner
    I was excited to receive my new toshiba portege m400 today, but the fan noise is quite bad.
    The problem is that it always runs 100% -- I tried the Toshiba power save properties to
    set the fan speed but to no avail, it has no effect at all. Furthermore, I tried to set
    all three bios power options (low,full power,user) but that has no effect either.
    Worst of all, the cpu temperature is very cool, just 29 degrees, and there is no need
    at all to run the fan at full speed. I guess the power save utilities are bugged and I wonder
    if Toshiba will come out with a new version of their tools? Is there anything I can do?

Thanks,
    -- Daan.

ps. bios version 1.30, toshiba power save tools 7.08.00. Cpu speed is dynamic, usually at 1 ghz and
    the temprature is very low.

[Edited by: admin on 20-Apr-06 06:48]

2. Re: Portege M400 - always running fan at 100%
    Beginner
    Hello,

does this appear since you bought the Notebook? Are there any processe's listet in the Task Manager which have a high CPU usage? To except all Software issue's, i would recommend to do a Recovery with the delivered Recovery CD/DVD.

If this appear since you bought the Notebook, i would contact the local service partner and ask him for a answer. This should not be normal.

br, rYan

3. Re: Portege M400 - always running fan at 100%
    Master
    Hi

Try to clean the cooling modules. You can use the vacuum cleaner.
    Furthermore you should use the notebook in the places where the fans can suck the air without any problems.

4. Re: Portege M400 - always running fan at 100%
    Master
    Hi Daan

Did you install some application that runs permanent in the background?
    Try please to remove Norton antivir application. I have noticed that it is responsible for high CPU usage.

If the result is better I recommend you to use some other antivir application.

5. Re: Portege M400 - always running fan at 100%
    Beginner
    I have same problem. The noise of fan is therible.
    Please how can I go into the bios? (shortkey)
    Thanks
    Georg

this is same: ps. bios version 1.30, toshiba power save tools 7.08.00. Cpu speed is dynamic, usually at 1 ghz and
    the temprature is very low.

6. Re: Portege M400 - always running fan at 100%
    Hi

Unfortunately you can not change the kind of noise. You can only try to change the running intensity of the fan.
    The power saver is responsible for the CPU and cooling performance. Check this option.
    To enter the BIOS please use the ESC button immediately after notebook starting.
    Check also this FAQ:
    http://support.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/FAQ6401G1000DR01.htm

PS: Check also the Jeffreys suggestion

7. Re: Portege M400 - always running fan at 100%
    Beginner
    Hi all,

thanks for the suggestions. However, my cooling unit is brand new and doesn't have dust in it, and the antivirus package does not take cpu time: on the contrary, at the moment, I use about 1% of my cpus, the temperature of the cpu is 28 degree celcius (which is extremely low), and the fan just happily blows lots of cold air out of my machine. I think just feeling that the air coming out is *cold* is the best sign that the fan just blows too much.

I have the latest bios, the latest drivers, set the cooling method to "battery optimized" and nothing helps -- it makes more noise than my other workstation. What should I do? Are there any technical engineers around at Toshiba that look into the fan wiring/temperature sensor?

8. Re: Portege M400 - always running fan at 100%
    Beginner
    i just got my toshiba m400 and i don't know if this is any help but i'm using power saver 7.08.00 and bios ver 1.40 (it came with it pre-installed) but i have since installed the intel chipset drivers to resolve some standby/hibernation issues and my fan works fine but it does seem that maybe some of the system drivers affect powersavers ability to control the fan speed, and i'd recommend installing all of the latest drivers off toshiba's website (but perhaps using intels chipset drivers instead of tosh ones) as well as some of the newer utilities for the bios like the toshiba HWsetup utility...

i hope this is at least some help

9. Re: Portege M400 - always running fan at 100%
    Beginner
    Toshiba technical support level 2 in UK claim that if the fan is on at all when the machine is booted to BIOS (hold ESC key during boot) then there is a problem and they will fix it. We'll see. My computer should be collected for "repair" tomorrow...

10. Re: Portege M400 - always running fan at 100%
    Beginner
    Did you get you Portege back? Did the fan noise issue dissappear?

For that matter, is there any M400 user out there who doesn't have this issue?

David.

11. Re: Portege M400 - always running fan at 100%
    Beginner
    I bought it one week ago. I have the same problem with fan noise. When I enter to the BIOS the fan noise is very noisy. I read many articles about this issue. Anybody knows a patch or BIOS to solve it?

Thks a lot.

12. Re: Portege M400 - always running fan at 100%
    Master
    Hi

If you set cooling method in power saver to lover level does cooling fun runs with lower speed?

13. Re: Portege M400 - always running fan at 100%
    Beginner
    My last laptop was a Toshiba Satellite M30. The Portege M400 (with lower levels at all settings) is more noisy than my old M30. I can't understand it. When i enter at BIOS the noise is very high.

Anybody has an answer to this problem?

thks

14. Re: Portege M400 - always running fan at 100%
    Hi

The fact is that all new laptops are not so quiet like older one. In my opinion the only explanation can be the new hardware infrastructure and new hardware platform. The newer units are more powerful than older but the bad thing is that they produce much more warmness.

I have older Tecra M1. It is very quiet unit and cooling fan works from time to time. My friend has non Toshiba notebook and his unit is much louder than my Tecra. I really don?t know what to say. At the end I believe that it is the result of high tech hardware minimization.

I must tell you that I am really happy with my older unit.

15. Re: Portege M400 - always running fan at 100%
    Beginner
    Hello,

I have been already installing the new bios 1.5, and i have to say that the noise persist. I dont think that the problem is hardware plattaform because the fan is throwing out cold air. Is it imposible remove the noise????

16. Re: Portege M400 - always running fan at 100%
    Master
    Hi

If you enter the BIOS and if the fan runs also with 100% so I assume there could be something wrong.
    Please check the last posting of user nedwards9820.

In this case I would recommend contacting the authorized service partner.