Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: RTC battery low or CMOS chksum inconsistent on a new Tecra M4 ?

1. RTC battery low or CMOS chksum inconsistent on a new Tecra M4 ?
    Beginner
    Hi,

I bought my Tecra M4 in november, making it relatively new.

Since then I have gotten the following message at power-on on four occasions:

**** RTC battery is low or CMOS checksum is inconsistent ****
    Press [F1] to set Date/Time.

Why is this happening on a new laptop ? And with relatively long intervals ( 4-6 weeks ) ?

Is there anything I can do to check for hardware errors ?

I'd rather not have to send in my computer at the moment ( spring exams coming up and summer term starting in a month ).

Any help/ideas are appreciated.

Regards,
    Thor

2. Re: RTC battery low or CMOS chksum inconsistent on a new Tecra M4 ?
    Master
    Hi Thor

As far as I know it is not a hardware problem. Connect the unit to AC adapter and let it charge for 20 or 24 hours.
    I hope that you use the unit very often and the battery can be charged constantly.

3. Re: RTC battery low or CMOS chksum inconsistent on a new Tecra M4 ?
    Master
    Hi again

Please check user`s manuals. I have found interesting info about that on page 137 and 139. The fact is that unit must be connected to AC adaptor, the battery must be full charged and just in this case the CMOS battery will be charged.

Charging time is about 8 hours but you can leave it for a longer period on. I recommend you to leave the unit on over the night (not standby or hibernation). Before you do this check standby and hibernation settings in power management. You can set the “display off” option to one minute because the display must not be on all the time.

Bye