Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite P20-962 with Windows XP and SP3

1. Satellite P20-962 with Windows XP and SP3
    Beginner
    Hello. I know, its a rather old laptop. But it works still fine. Today i want to install Service Pack 3 from Microsoft. After Reboot, the screen is still black and the laptop doens´t start. I install a new, clean XP installation. Install XP SP3 and same procedure. Screen is still black. Where is the Error. Without SP3 the Laptop and the Graficcard works top, with SP3, black screen. Want to istall SP2, same Error. Screen is black, no picture. Only in SP1, the laptop works fine. I install the newest driver from Toshiba. Same Error.Is there a workaorund for this problem? (Sorry for my english)

2. Re: Satellite P20-962 with Windows XP and SP3
    Enthusiast
    I must mention that using Win' XP is now a security risk, but you probably already know this.

I have had good results using a Dell XP SP3 Installation Disc on my 10 year old Satellite Pro. It is a full OS with SP3 integrated into it.

You can usually buy these discs on eBay.

3. Re: Satellite P20-962 with Windows XP and SP3
    Beginner
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexei_Sayle View Post
    I must mention that using Win' XP is now a security risk, but you probably already know this.

I have had good results using a Dell XP SP3 Installation Disc on my 10 year old Satellite Pro. It is a full OS with SP3 integrated into it.

You can usually buy these discs on eBay.
    Hello. The main problem is, that the Toshiba Satellite P20-962 doesn´t work with Windows XP SP3! The video driver is written only for XP SP1
    I tested it with a CD with SP3 included. The Screen leaves Black. After Reboot, save start and deinstallation of the video driver, the laptop works fine.
    The problem is the NV4_DISP.DLL file. Toshiba never find any answer to this problem.
    Resolution: I never buy any Toshiba Electronic Article. Sorry

Need this laptop only for Video viewing. With SP1 it works fine. it is a little tricky, but it works

4. Re: Satellite P20-962 with Windows XP and SP3
    Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Multitrav View Post
    Need this laptop only for Video viewing...
    If you only need it for video, you could install a version of Linux. Some are made just for old computers and work well. I have Linux Lite on my old laptop together with XP (dual boot system).

https://distrowatch.com/