Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Canvio Basics 2TB USB 3.0 Hard Drive

1. Canvio Basics 2TB USB 3.0 Hard Drive
    Beginner
    At the end of december I cleaned up my internal hdd´s and copied all files to an Toshiba Canvio Basics 2Tb hdd. When reconnected the Canvio disk to my laptop, it came up as a local disk and I could not read the contents. In diskmanagement it lost its file-system and showed RAW.
    I tried on several PC's with same result. With data-recovery software I managed after 60 hours to save the data.
    I then did a full format of the disk and it did not report any errors and I had again a NTFS file-system on the disk.
    I was happy and I started using the disk. Till after a few days ago the same problem again : Disk after boot shows as local disk with no file system (RAW) and cannot read its contents. The data-recovery software does see that there is a NTFS file-system on the disk.
    Has anyone seen this before ? Is there a solution ?

2. Re: Canvio Basics 2TB USB 3.0 Hard Drive
    Beginner
    I can't be 100% sure that this is the correct answer, but your problem might be that you did not assign the correct drive letter to your new hard drive.

See here -https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/disk-management/change-a-drive-letter

This is purely a guess, though.

3. Re: Canvio Basics 2TB USB 3.0 Hard Drive
    Beginner
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexei_Sayle View Post
    I can't be 100% sure that this is the correct answer, but your problem might be that you did not assign the correct drive letter to your new hard drive.

See here -https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/disk-management/change-a-drive-letter

This is purely a guess, though.
    Thanks. I've tried this, but no difference.