PDA

View Full Version : Power configuration as XP user

seasack
11.01.2006, 14:14
Hi!

I would like to change my power configuration under XP Pro SP2 as a normal user without admin rights. Obviously, I have to use the Power Saver tool, but this works only under admin accounts.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Lutz

Markus77
11.01.2006, 15:59
Hi

Well, in my opinion you can’t change it without admin rights. In this case your user accounts need the rights.
As far as I know the user with the admin rights (administrator) should logon on your unit. Then you should choose the Power saver properties. There you can find a ‘Security’ tab.
The option ‘full Control’ should be marked to ‘allow’ under your user name.

Bye

seasack
11.01.2006, 16:47
Hi!

Where do I find this "Security Tab"?

I can alter the settings for each Power profile and the behaviour of the lid, but that's it.

I use Toshiba PowerSaver v. 1.0034M. According to the download center of Toshiba this is the newest version.

Regards,

Lutz

Markus77
11.01.2006, 17:01
Hi

Right click on the power saver exe file and choose properties. There you will find a security tab. But for this procedure you need the admin rights! In this case you need the admin rights! See my first posting.

Best regards

Huyo26
11.01.2006, 18:15
Hi
I can now modify my powerprofile as restricted user after I modified the registry key acces rights (as admin) for HKLM\softare\microsoft\current version\controls folder\power cfg
BUT I still cannot see the battery load percentage by moving the pointer on the icon: it always says "net load", even on battery. Modifying access rights of "c:\windows\system32\powercfg.exe" does not help.

any solution?

Huyo26
11.01.2006, 19:49
Icon showing percentage of battery load for user with restricted rights: Problem solved by extra restart of the PC after modification of registry key access (see previous post)

seasack
12.01.2006, 10:29
Hi!

Changes in the registry and of the exe-file (both as administrator) haven't helped.

Starting the exe-file as restricted user provokes a pop-up that reads (rough translation from German): Power Saver Policy Manager cannot create global policy. No access.

I use Power Saver v 1.0034M, which seems to be the latest version.

Anymore ideas?

Cheers

Lutz

Jeffrey
12.01.2006, 15:13
Hi

It would be very interesting to know if the Power saver works properly on full user admin account. If yes so I would recommend to change your user account to admin.
Furthermore I thing you shouldn’t change anything in the registry. The user account as admin should works properly.

Bye

seasack
12.01.2006, 16:08
Hi!

As administrator I have no problems at all.

Giving the restricted user account admin privileges is not acceptable under our IT policy.

Cheers

Lutz