PDA

View Full Version : Satellite C875 - System Langauge stucks in Norwegian

simongarrett
15.11.2013, 15:14
I'm trying to help someone. When he first ran his Toshiba Satellite C875 laptop (bought in the UK), he reckons he must have selected Norwegian, and now everything is Norwegian.

Even if I run the recovery partition by booting with F8 pressed - everything is Norwegian.

Anyone know if there is some way of doing a factory reset, so the laptop boots in an out-of-factory condition?

MasterG
15.11.2013, 15:20
Hi

Maybe this document could help you:
+Windows 8 Recovery & Repair+
http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB2A03ES0000R01.htm

I recommend you to choose the option called Reset Your PC.
This would set the system back to factory settings. As far as I know you should be able to choose another language.

But I remember in the past (Windows 7) that such language could be chosen only one time.
After that the other languages were deleted from the partition and it was not possible to choose another language.

However, recommend checking the +Reset your PC+ option

simongarrett
15.11.2013, 15:28
Thanks for the link - that's very useful. I've been getting those screens in Norwegian, and trying to use Google translate to work out what they mean!

When you select a language, does it delete the others even from the recovery partition?

If so, and my friend managed to delete English when he first used the machine, if I complete a reinstall of Windows 8 from the recovery partition, can I download English for free, or do I have to buy it, do you know?

i'm beginning to regret offering to help him!

MasterG
15.11.2013, 15:41
> When you select a language, does it delete the others even from the recovery partition?
I’m not quite sure about the recovery partition on Windows 8 preinstalled notebooks but in the past I noticed this on notebook with preinstalled Windows 7.

Some notebook models which were released in different countries where preinstalled with a Toshiba multilingual image. This means that you could choose between different languages but only one time.

> If so, and my friend managed to delete English when he first used the machine, if I complete a reinstall of Windows 8 from the recovery partition, can I download English for free, or do I have to buy it, do you know?

I guess, if English language has been deleted, you could order a recovery disk from here http://backupmedia.toshiba.eu/landing.aspx which would contains the other languages.

simongarrett
15.11.2013, 15:51
Thanks very much for the information. I'm doing a rebuild now (reformatting the drive - having translated the Norwegian), and I'll see if that allows me to load English. If not, my friend will have to buy a recovery disk (or take it back to the store - he tells me he has a 2-year warranty from them).

Thanks again.

MasterG
15.11.2013, 15:59
Thanks for feedback…

By the way: I doubt warranty would help you in such case because warranty covers only hardware problems and not software problems.

simongarrett
15.11.2013, 18:30
Thanks, you're probably right. Anyway, the recovery disk is £30.90. I had a shock when I looked up the price, as the only language offered for my friend's laptop's serial number is "NH". Goodness, has he locked his serial number to Norwegian? No, that's not Norwegian, but "Northern Hemisphere".