PDA

View Full Version : Weak WiFi signal in other room using Qosmio X770

jtk
15.04.2013, 00:09
I have a Qosmio X770 3D
Having wifi signal problems.
Wired to router 62 mbps When wireless near router great almost 50 Mbps. If I go downstairs and it drops down to between 5 and 15 Mbps and loses signal entirely on occasions.

When I try my cheaper laptop in same circumstances I get 45 Mbps downstairs constantly. Even my wife's notepad gets better signal strength.

Channel selection makes no difference except to make it worse when others are using same.
My broadband supplier has replaced router, come to house and monitored signal strengths and says its my laptop issues.

Can the wifi card be upgraded for stronger reception. Moving to the higher range wont work as my other gear use 2.4 .

Any other suggestions please?

RandyRoberts
18.04.2013, 11:05
> When I try my cheaper laptop in same circumstances I get 45 Mbps downstairs constantly. Even my wife's notepad gets better signal strength.

Its no matter if the notebook was cheap or expensiveÖ the signal strength depend on different issues.
Mostly itís a matter of WLan card/chip built in the notebook.

So in your case I recommend checking if an usage of different WLan standard like 802.11 B / G or N would make a difference.
Furthermore I would recommend checking the WLan card power saving settings.
In cases the notebook is used on battery power, the system may drops down the WLan performance in order to save the battery power.
Also an WLan driver update could improve the performance.

However, as I wrote above: itís always a matter of WLan chip

jtk
18.04.2013, 11:12
Thank you for your reply and will try the things you recommend . Laptop is always used on mains power. Can the Wlan card/chip be changed?
Cheers
Jim

RandyRoberts
18.04.2013, 11:42
In most cases itís an miniPCI WLan module and usually it can be replaced.
But donít ask me what miniPCI WLan modules would be compatibleÖ Iím not sure about it and from my knowledge not all miniPCI modules would be handled by BIOS