PDA

View Full Version : NB305-105 wont connect to an public WLan

GRAZ71
18.03.2013, 12:58
Hi

Like many other my netbook *won't connect to wireless sites* and I don't understand why.
And what is odd is that I do have a good connection at home or any places as long as I enter a key number but as soon as I want to connect to a free/public wifi (airport, parcs...) it won't work.

The computer detects signal, it says connected but there's no access to internet. I've run many times a diagnotic but no results.

Would you know what is the problem? I've postponed the issue until now but it drives me crazy.

Windows 7 Edition Starter
Service Pack 1
Intel Atom CPU 450 1.66GHz 1.67 GHz
RAM 1 GO
32 bits
Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter

Thank you!

Message was edited by: GRAZ71

JackyStewart
19.03.2013, 10:10
So are you able to use WLan at home?
Can you connect to internet using your home WLan router?

You can test the WLan connection using an “open” WLan.
Don’t set any encryption settings (WEP,WPA etc…). Disable MAC filtering and be sure that your WLan card use the same standard like wireless LAN (802.11 A, B, or G)

GRAZ71
09.09.2013, 10:45
Hello,

Many thanks for your reply but I'm still having the same problem.

I managed to solve the issue in the first place after following that thread from Justanswer
(http://www.justanswer.com/computer-networking/50leg-toshiba-netbook-nb-305-windows-starter-installed.html) and it worked until recently but now my pc won't connect anymore like it used to do.

Seriously, any help will be very much appreciated because now it's way beyond me.

Many thanks for the help!

G

Ps: And yeah, home works like every places I need passwords like in libraries, friends', coffeshops... Only free public wifi won't connect although the network and sharing center detects every nearby wireless network.

Ps2: could you explain "Disable MAC filtering and be sure that your WLan card use the same standard like wireless LAN (802.11 A, B, or G)"

Thank^^

RandyRoberts
10.09.2013, 13:55
>Ps2: could you explain "Disable MAC filtering and be sure that your WLan card use the same standard like wireless LAN (802.11 A, B, or G)"

_Mac filtering:_
Every WLan or LAN card contain an unique address… called MAC address.
If MAC address filtering is enabled in WLan router settings, you have to add WLan MAC addresses in order to establish the connection between the router and WLan card.

But you said you have no problem connecting to the home Wifi network and I don’t think that public MAC address filtering would be set for public networks.

_Regarding wireless LAN (802.11 A, B, or G):_
As you know, there are different Wlan standards: 802.11A, B, G or N
The WLan built in the NB305-105 is Atheros 802.11 AR5B95 which supports the 802.11 B, G and N standard.

You can choose between these Wlan standards. In device manager -> WLan card -> Properties -> Advanced tab you can set either B or G or both. You can also enable N or disable it. In case the public network would allow only the 802.11 A, you would not be able to connect the notebook to this network. In case the public netowork supports only 802.11 B, you should check if Wlan card is set to 802.11 B too.

I hope I could help you a little bit.