PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Z830 wireless vs wired speed test variance

bizuser
13.03.2012, 15:47
Hi Folks

I have the new Ultrabook Satelite Z830 and am having some issues with wireless which neither john Lewis or Toshiba can resolve - would really appreciate some help from anyone out there!

Whilst the wireless is "working" (Intel wireless) when I do a speed check I only get 4MB on wireless, when i perform the same speedcheck on the laptop I get approaching 20mb.

i have tried re-installing drivers and de-activating bluetooth but still no luck.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Many thanks

MasterG
13.03.2012, 18:08
> Whilst the wireless is "working" (Intel wireless) when I do a speed check I only get 4MB on wireless, when i perform the same speedcheck on the laptop I get approaching 20mb.

You mean using WLan you get an data transfer speed of 4MB and using LAN you can get 20MB?

By the way: you mean 4MB or 4Mbit/s???

The notebook seems to support the WLan 802.11(a/g/n) and Intel 10BASE-T / 100BASE-TX / 1000BASE-T LAN chip.

What WLan standard (A, G or N) do you use in connection with your WLan router?

bizuser
13.03.2012, 19:29
Sorry - I meant 4mbit vs 20mbit

The WLan router at work is G

Thanks

MisterX
14.03.2012, 10:19
Hi

The 802.11 G standard supports an theoretical speed of 54 Mbps (Megabits per second).
But you will never get such speed. It will be always slower.
802.11g and other Wlan protocols support a feature called dynamic rate scaling.
If the Wlan signal between connected WLan devices (WLan card and WLan router) is not strong enough, the data transfer speed would be slower.
It’s common for 802.11 g standard to run at 24Mbps or even lower.

But 4Mbps is very low value… it could be possible that power management for Wlan is set to save the power and this might decrease the data transfer speeds.
You can disable such power saving in: device manager -> WLan card properties -> Power Management tab.

You should also check the Win 7 power options. The single power plant settings contain an Wlan power saving option. This should be set to full performance.

But also the LAN speed does not seem to be very fast. 20Mbps for LAN is not too fast. So in my opinion either the server which you have tested the speed does not provide the performance to get faster data transfer speed or there is something wrong with the router.

mktalluri
04.07.2013, 14:21
thanks misterx

I've got the problem with my wireless adapter and your post addressed the issue.

Thanks once again :)