PDA

View Full Version : Satellite P745-S4217: No WLan connection if 10-12 feet away from router

agarza19
12.01.2012, 19:42
Hi everyone!

I have a problem with my wify conecction.
When Im near the router, the wifi conecction works perfect, I get a full wifi indicator on windows and I have no trouble surfing the web.

But when I move 10 or 12 feet away from the router, althoug the wifi indicator gets three or four coverage stripes, my laptop can't make the conection.

It's too weird, because my ipod works perfect and other laptops too.

Hope I explained properly.

I tried the latest driver but that doesnt solve the problem, I change some power settings but that doesnt solve it either.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance...

Feliks
13.01.2012, 00:04
And your problem occurs with battery power supply only or with AC power supply too?

PauPau
13.01.2012, 10:48
Hi

The notebook seems to be an Toshiba US series.,
I found this series here:
[Satellite P745-S4217|http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=DL&os=&category=&moid=3025538&rpn=PSMQ1U&modelFilter=P745-S4217&selCategory=2756709&selFamily=1073768663]

May I ask you what WLan card you have?
As far as I know similar issue has been solved by driver update.
Maybe you not used the latest available Wlan driver?

PS: did you notice the same issue if the notebook is connected to AC adaptor?

agarza19
13.01.2012, 18:39
Thanks for the answers.

1) I changed the power settings in order to have high performance for both cases. With the battery power supply and with the AC power connected.

2) Im sure I have the latest update for my wlan driver.

Is pretty weird because (when Im away from the router) the connection works good for a while and then fails for a few minutes, after that, works just fine again.

Maybe I have to change the wlan settings, I dont know. A friend told me that probably my wlan card is not well connected, what do you think? Should I open my laptop and check?

Hope you can help me, thanks in advance...

Pedro
17.01.2012, 00:44
Does the same happen if you test it somewhere else?
I mean, can you test it connecting your notebook to friends router?

agarza19
17.01.2012, 17:40
That only happens in my router but not with other laptops or any other wifi device.

I think I solved the issue. In my wlan settings there was an option selected that says: leave the laptop turn off the wlan device in order to save battery, I deselect it.

Im going to keep testing and see what happens...

PauPau
17.01.2012, 17:59
>I think I solved the issue. In my wlan settings there was an option selected that says: leave the laptop turn off the wlan device in order to save battery, I deselect it.

Thanks for this info... would be interesting to know if this helps to increase the WLan performance.