PDA

View Full Version : Satellite C660 Wireless stopped since BIOS 1.4 Update

Ivan the terrible
26.09.2011, 00:33
In fact there is a closed thread about this same subject. But I would like to add something.

My Satellite C660 is dual boot. I have Ubuntu installed as well as Windows 7. Now, the moment I foolishly updated the bios to 1.4 the wireless stopped working under windows. But it continues to work under Ubuntu.

So, I know the hardware has not suddenly broken. This is clearly a bad mistake in the updated bios supplied by Toshiba and should be fixed immediately.

Can some kind sole please explain how to restore the previous bios. I know it has been saved some place because I saw this happening during the updated process.

Cheers!

PauPau
27.09.2011, 15:15
> Now, the moment I foolishly updated the bios to 1.4 the wireless stopped working under windows. But it continues to work under Ubuntu.

Did you check if the WLan is enabled in Win 7?
Usually you have to enable the Wlan using Fn + F8 keys.

Check this!

Ivan the terrible
08.10.2011, 11:27
Thank you for your reply.
In fact I had not thought of that!

However, just tried turning it both on and off and it seems to make no difference.
What I don't understand is that clearly this problem is caused when the bios is updated - at the behest of Toshiba - and Toshiba do not seem interested in issuing a fix. This must be soooo very easy for Toshiba to do. Also tried re-installing the Realtek driver.
Still no joy.

for the moment I have to do all my roaming under Ubuntu.
Toshiba support only suggested using the restore dvd. That involves a lot of backing up and re-installing of stuff. Something I am having to do because of Toshiba's mistake.

I don't understand is why Toshiba don't issue another update to the bios to fix this problem - tout de suite!

Tonny
10.10.2011, 16:08
Hi

For me it sounds really strange that Wlan does not work after the BIOS update…since the Wlan works running Linux OS, it does not sounds like BIOS issue…

It has to be a software issue and I think the issue is that your Wlan is not enabled.
However, I would firstly set the BIOS to default settings. Save changes and boot again.
Then I would visit the device manager -> Wlan card -> Properties and would check the settings there…

Furthermore be sure that using Fn + F8 you have enabled Wlan (be sure that Wlan has been chosen because this option enabled the BT too!)

Of course the Toshiba recovery procedure would be a option too but I think this should be done as last resort…