PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Pro M40 - No WLan connection - driver missing?

dand1993
14.07.2009, 14:15
I recently re-installed Windows XP on my Satellite Pro M40, which cleared all the drivers for WLAN etc.

I have tried writing the drivers found on the toshiba site to disk on this PC, and then installing them on the other PC, but still have no connectivity..

Any ideas?

dand1993
17.07.2009, 12:35
Hello?

Anybody able to help?

Luke
17.07.2009, 14:08
Hello

Is your WLAN card now listed properly in device manager or you have a yellow exclamation mark?

I think you should explain what you mean with no connectivity… Can you see the router if you search wireless networks in range?
Make sure that you are using the same WiFi standard on your notebook and on the router, for example WiFi 802.11g.

Greets

dand1993
21.07.2009, 14:26
There is nothing that looks like it is a WLAN card in device manager, and there is no option to search for wireless networks (as far as i can find).

It worked perfectly before i re-installed XP

Mores
21.07.2009, 14:45
Wait a moment.
Is some unknown device listed in device manager?

I am not 100% sure but I believe your M40 has Atheros WLAN card inside. Please visit http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/wlan/?page=downloads and try to download and install WXP driver for Atheros WLAN card.

dand1993
21.07.2009, 23:42
I downloaded the driver, and wrote it onto a CD. I then extracted the file on the laptop and ran the toshiba extracter. Once it was completed extracting, i got the dreaded blue error screen. I did this several times and hten tried doing the same in safe mode (with networking). In safe mode, it completed extracting like in normal mode, but then did nothing.

Any ideas?

Lars-539581805
22.07.2009, 09:24
Hi!

Why did you write the driver onto a CD?

For me it sounds like that you try to install the wrong driver. Did you check the vendor and device ID?
You can check this if you right click on the WLAN card (or unknown device) in device manager > properties > Details. There you can see something like “PCI\VEN_xxxx & DEVxxxx
With this “codes” you can search on this website to identify this device: http://www.pcidatabase.com/

Then you can search for the right driver.

Bye

dand1993
26.07.2009, 13:41
How else can i get it onto the laptop?

I cant download it on the laptop, since i need the internet to do that, and i dont have a flash drive or such to transfer it over..

I will check out that later, and post back here again..

Lars-539581805
26.07.2009, 15:39
Hi!

I think there is no other way to do that. You have to download the driver on another computer and then transfer it with an USB stick or CD.

If you don’t have such accessories, ask a friend. These things are not expensive. ;)

Anyway, try it and post your result.
Good luck!

Bye

dand1993
13.08.2009, 18:59
Hi,

Sorry for long reply period. Been away for a couple of weeks.

The problem i have, is that now Windows XP is asking me to activate via the internet, but i cant, since i have no internet (Which is the whole problem :/) And i cant get onto the computer to get the internet working, since it requires me to activate it!

Any suggestion?

dand1993
13.08.2009, 19:50
Disregard the last message. I activated it via the telephone method (Dont you think a 42 digit activation code is really excessive!?)

I then did what you said in this message:

+For me it sounds like that you try to install the wrong driver. Did you check the vendor and device ID?+
+You can check this if you right click on the WLAN card (or unknown device) in device manager > properties > Details. There you can see something like PCI\VEN_xxxx & DEVxxxx+
+With this "codes" you can search on this website to identify this device: http://www.pcidatabase.com/+

And it now works LIKE A CHARM!

Thank you so much for all the help you have given me.

Cheers,
Dan