PDA

View Full Version : Tecra R10-10W - charges when battery full

stoklin
29.05.2009, 11:19
Hello,

I've got this laptop for a couple of weeks and it behaves strange. Lets say I'm using it connected to AC and the battery is 100% charged. When I disconnect it from AC overnight and connect it in the morning again, it starts charging the battery even if it is 100% charged. It charges the battery for 5-10 minutes.
Does anyone have similar experience?

Other laptops wait until the battery level reaches about 95% before starting charging. Is there any way I can influence this behavior? I suppose this frequent short charging is not good for battery lifespan.

Thanks for your opinions.

Akuma
03.06.2009, 01:32
This sounds normal to me. Lithium batteries lose their charge slowly, so its just topping the battery power up in the morning.

The battery has a chip that needs to calibrate the battery level after the battery has discharged by itself, so thats probably why the battery level is a bit off.

Chad
03.06.2009, 08:55
Hi

> Lets say I'm using it connected to AC and the battery is 100% charged. When I disconnect it from AC overnight and connect it in the morning again, it starts charging the battery even if it is 100% charged. It charges the battery for 5-10 minutes.

As Akuma suggested, this is a normal issue.
Nothing unusual because the battery loses the power even the notebook is off.

Here is one of the Toshiba articles:
+Why does my notebook lose 2 - 4% of its battery power each time I switch the unit off and then back on again?+
http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/FAQ6301EP000ER01.htm

stoklin
06.06.2009, 23:42
Thank you guys for your replies. I agree with you, I know the battery discharges slowly even if not used. But I just don't understand why the laptop behaves like I described. Charging 100% charged battery after a few hours of left off sounds strange to me. Even with my previous Toshiba laptop it worked like I'd expect. It started charging the battery only when it was a few percent below 100%. I'm not an expert in batteries but I read some articles that charging the last few percent frequently is critical for the battery. It must have some reason that other laptops start charging later. Moreover, some Lenovo laptops for exaple, allow user to set the battery level when it should start charging in a range of 90%-100%. So you can reputedly improve the battery lifespan by avoiding the short charging. Li-ion batteries have limited charging cycles so that's probably the reason...

You still think it's normal? How about your laptops? Do they charge the battery after a few hours when the laptop is left off without AC connected?

Anyway, despite the fact I'm not very happy about this "feature", it's not such a supposed it's not a fault I can't do anything about it. Otherwise, it's a great laptop for a very pleasant money!

Don't hesitate to reply if you have any comments.

Cheers