PDA

View Full Version : Satellite L305-S5939 - Dual boot with Linux

praetor
18.02.2009, 10:46
I just recently purchased the titled mentioned laptop for my studies in computer programming which will require me to dual boot with Linux.
I decided to use Ubuntu and their instructions for settings up the dual boot are straightforward.

However, I have heard of people having problems with BIOS settings on other brands when all said is done.
Before I embark on this journey I just want to make sure everything is set to avoid any problems.

Sadly, I have not found much information on Dual Booting with Linux and Toshiba L305s.
Other then the basics anything I should do before the install?

Raver
18.02.2009, 12:09
I think a dual boot on the Satellite L305 should not be a problem because you can do this on every notebook or PC.

If you want Ubuntu you should have a look on Wubi
http://wubi-installer.org/
Itís pretty easy to use and in my opinion the best way to install Ubuntu on a dual boot system.

blarzi
19.02.2009, 20:36
Hi Praetor,

for installation and dual-boot with ubuntu, have a look here:
http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=40045&tstart=0

Also, you would better have a look in ubuntu forums rather than here, since you will find much more information.
I agree with Raver that Wubi is the easiest way to install ubuntu in dual-boot, but it is not the best in terms of performances, robustness and flexibility.
In any case, do not forget to make your recovery DVD's by using the Toshiba Recovery Disc Creator Tool, and also copy all your important files onto an external device...in case something goes wrong, this is the only way to recover your PC as it came when you bought it!

Enjoy Ubuntu,
Giulio

praetor
20.02.2009, 22:24
Thanks, for the information I have been forum whoring to see how the process works. The two potential problems I see are with the wireless card and GPU. Sadly, I have not found information about my particular model and Linux. I got a great price on the laptop but I do not want to open it until I feel confident I can get Unbuntu to work or at least be prepared for any problems that may occur. I will keep everyone posted on the process, perhaps, this could help another in the future.

P.

blarzi
21.02.2009, 00:16
Hi Praetor,

there is an easy and safe way to test if ubuntu works on your notebook, and that is launching ubuntu from the Ubuntu Live CD rather than installing it.
In this way, you will see if everything works with ubuntu or not.
In the latter case, you will not risk anything since you are not installing ubuntu on your laptop, you are just running it from the CD.
In the former case, it will just confirm that you can install ubuntu on your laptop.

Giulio

dual_booter
27.02.2009, 23:39
Using google (its your friend with linux) I pulled up the specs for the computer. Find it here: PSLB8U (http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=SB&os=&category=&moid=2243400&rpn=PSLB8U&modelFilter=L305-S5939&selCategory=3&selFamily=1073768663&selModel=2243400)

Wifi adapter is: Intel Wi-Fi Link 5100AGN

Word on the street is that wifi works out of the box in 8.10 Intrepid. There was some complaints i read that the 8.04 kernel didn't work real well out of the box.

The BIOS you shouldn't have a problem with.

Graphic is Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
In my past readings, Intel has supported X.Org so i think you're safe there.

Good luck!