PDA

View Full Version : NB100 help please with fan and graphics settings

Yozzer
20.01.2009, 15:16
Hi, I have just bought the NB100 and have a few questions I hope someone can help me with.
The fan icon goes grey or white depending on the settings using FN and F6, but I can feel no difference in the air around the right hand grill. Is it on when the icon shows white or grey? does it actually work?
My second question is about the graphic settings. The intel power option that is displayed when the graphivs icon in the task bar is double clicked appears to be disabled. There are sliders, automatic brightness, and power saving, but none can be selected, how is it enabled?
My last question is about games. I tried a few old ones that were not graphic intensive, Deus Ex, and sins of a solar empire, but I had problems getting at text boxes that needed a response, and in the case of Deus Ex it said the graphic drivers were not compatable. Has anyone had ant success with games? I travel a lot and thought I would like to have one or two installed other than card games etc.

Thanks and regards, Brian

malcolli
20.01.2009, 15:41
On my machine F6 is for the sound mute, F8 is for the cooling fan. Pressing it makes the fan speed change.
I cannot help with the power settings, as mine all seem to be working OK and I can make changes.
Have you tried changing the settings through System/Preferences/Power Management?

Yozzer
20.01.2009, 15:54
Sorry, F6 was a typo, I meant F8. How do you tell if it has changed the speed of the fan? I wet my finger and held it next to the grill on the right hand side but could feel no difference nor hear any sound for the changes from white backgound to grey background on the fan icon.
I may have not been clear on the graphics question. On the tray there is an icon for graphic options. When it is pressed, one of the selections is graphics properties. I selected this, then on the box that appeared, I pressed display settings to see if I cold get around the scrolling problem, and saw a box "power scheme". I selected that and another box appeared called power settings, I assume for the graphics as it is called "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Mobile". this has some greyed out boxes called Intel Automatic Display Brightness, Intel Power saving technology with a slider going from Max quakity to Max battery, and another box called Intel display refresh rate technology. All this is greyed out. I have selected varios options regarding overall power schemes in the control panel and they work OK.

malcolli
20.01.2009, 17:01
There are obviously differences with OS's, I have a Linux version.
Pressing the F8 displays the fan on screen and causes an audible difference in fan speed.

Yozzer
20.01.2009, 17:36
Well the fan status is sorted. It only comes on when hot, and it would appear that the function keys either stop it or let it run if the temperature is high enough. I set a video running, and after a while the fan kicked in, I could just hear it, then function F8 stopped it, showning a stationary fan icon, pressed again it showed the greyed icon.
I just wanted to make sure it was running.
Any feedback on the gfraphic options in the intel drivers would be appreciated, see my post.
Thanks for the input,
Brian

d123
22.01.2009, 01:58
Fn+f8 has another purpose, when the fan symbol is grey the processor is locked at 1.6Ghz, when the symbol is white it defaults to 798MHz.

I presume its a battery saving thing, anyone with XP can check this in System Properties.

fourky
12.03.2009, 10:51
hi,
I am looking for the complete documentation about the fan software.
My problem is that I would like to know if the computer will shut down if the temperature rise to much and there is a risk to damage the processor.
It is realy important for me to know that. If the nb100 doesn't shut down by itself, does anybody knows if I can get a software for that?
My nb100 is going to work in a closed space, and I worry about that temperature problem.
thanks by advance to any answers !
and thanks for the forum !

Mentor75
15.03.2009, 08:43
Hi

I have had a NB100 for about a month now. I found that the F8 fan switch has to modes AUTO and 100%. When I got it this is how it work and the fan worked well. I would run it at 100% most of the time because it would keep it cooler. But then it stopped working altogether no matter what mode I had the fan switch in.
I found that if I loaded the default setting in the bios that the fan would work again until I pressed the F8 key. Then it would stop and would not start again until I reloaded the default setting again.
I updated the bios using the bios update from the Toshiba site and now the fan will run in the auto mode. If I press F8 it still turns off but I can turn it back on. No 100% mode
I am going to send t it back to Toshiba as faulty and get them to fix it. If anyone else if having trouble with their fan not working I would suggest that you send it back. You should be able to feel some air from the side vent at all times.

Dave

Mentor75
15.03.2009, 08:44
Hi
I have had a NB100 for about a month now. I found that the F8 fan switch has to modes AUTO and 100%. When I got it this is how it work and the fan worked well. I would run it at 100% most of the time because it would keep it cooler. But then it stopped working altogether no matter what mode I had the fan switch in.
I found that if I loaded the default setting in the bios that the fan would work again until I pressed the F8 key. Then it would stop and would not start again until I reloaded the default setting again.
I updated the bios using the bios update from the Toshiba site and now the fan will run in the auto mode. If I press F8 it still turns off but I can turn it back on. No 100% mode
I am going to send t it back to Toshiba as faulty and get them to fix it. If anyone else if having trouble with their fan not working I would suggest that you send it back. You should be able to feel some air from the side vent at all times.
Dave