PDA

View Full Version : NB100 BIOS Update on Linux

sleeping_menace
15.01.2009, 21:19
Ok, I have found and downloaded the BIOS update file from Toshiba, I've not been able to find any instructions as to how to properly apply the update.

For the Linux version, it's in the form of a .sh, however, it's not a standard shell script. Is this something to be just run from a command prompt? Anyone know or could someone point me to the documentation I don't seem to be able to find regarding this?

Thanks in advance.

malcolli
15.01.2009, 22:00
A great question! Searched the manual and the web, I cannot find anything.
Hope someone has an answer.

malcolli
17.01.2009, 12:51
I have spoken to the technical support today and they will come back to me on how to do the bios update in Linux.

They said it was just a case of running the file. IT WOULD NOT on my machine.

Will post the reply when I get it.

malcolli
17.01.2009, 13:27
Toshiba say download the file, extract it from the zip file, right click and set the execute bit, then run it.

It does now run, but does not seem to have changed the bios version. I have Bios Version 1.10

Before anyone else runs it can you please tell what the System BIOS Version they?

sleeping_menace
17.01.2009, 23:04
Yes, I too just tried running the file, and got a message about incompatible modules types or something similar. The command wouldn't complete properly on either my partners NB100, which is exactly as came from the factory, nor on mine, which has been fully updated. I'm not sure what needs to happen at this point, but I am curious.
C'mon Toshiba.. just give us a bit of info to work on.. just this once? pls?

diel
19.01.2009, 20:17
Part of the update creates a temporary file like this one:
isfl_drv.ko: ELF 32-bit LSB relocatable, Intel *80386*, version 1 (SYSV), not stripped

Its the format of this being complained about - wonder if its because the kernel is lpia architecture and not 80386?

I'll keep digging...

malcolli
20.01.2009, 14:19
I have been in contact with Toshiba techs this morning, and I am still waiting for a reply. They say that the problem has been raised to level 3 (whatever that is) and they will be in touch soon.

DennisFarina
21.01.2009, 19:02
Guess, thats the level of support. ;)

maxresti
23.01.2009, 12:22
hi everyones,

news for updates?
i have some problems:
boot freeze and stopped with the led A in the touchpad area, the pc do not restart at the suspensions ecc....
i use ubuntu on my 3 pc from 2 years but only on this netbook i have this problems.
:-(

malcolli
23.01.2009, 15:41
Toshiba have informed me that there is an issue with the bios upgrade, and is has now been taken off the website.
They are hoping to issue an update within the next week, when they have resolved the issue. They will also be issuing instructions on how to do the update.

sandman652001
27.01.2009, 13:19
I found a new bios on the website 1.60 but still having problems, module instert error if running from a terminal, nothing at all happenes if I run it as per readme

malcolli
27.01.2009, 13:34
The same for me. Just emailed Toshiba back with the results

gcogger
27.01.2009, 18:00
Does anybody know what the changes are in the new BIOS? The Toshiba site merely says "This Bios Update adds increased functionality to your system" which, frankly, is completely useless!

It is usually said that you should not update the BIOS unless it fixes a specific problem that you have, but it's a bit difficult to know in this case...

malcolli
27.01.2009, 19:58
I did ask Toshiba but the answer seems to have been overlooked.
I was asked to check the new bios upgrade this afternoon, but I still cannot get it to install, and I get the error

'Module isfl_drv.ko insert error'

and the bios is not updated.

Toshiba say they have updated several with this new file, and do not understand why it does not work for me and a couple of others by the entries inf this forum.
The instructions also forgets to tell you to make the file executable before trying to run it.

sandman652001
27.01.2009, 20:28
I have exactly the same error, had they at least made a dos version available one could boot of a USB pendrive adn update like that

maxresti
29.01.2009, 18:02
news for update the bios???

malcolli
29.01.2009, 19:09
Here cometh the news.

I was requested to do a complete recovery, using the CD. Which I did. OK

I then did a BIOS Update using the file from the net, BEFORE doing any of the numerous updates.
The BIOS Update worked fine. I now have BIOS 1.60.

Below is my reply to TOSHIBA:

This means that something in the OFFICIAL updates breaks the ability to
do a bios upgrade. This is not really a satisfactory situation. You
cannot expect users to be doing this when there is a bios update. Not
everyone will be able to do it for a start.
I now have to do all the updates, then repair the sound (as the updates
breaks the sound), then put everything I had back on.

We would still like to know:
1. What does the updated bios fix, repair or improve?
2. How will we do a bios upgrade in the future?
3. Will you publish the necessary instructions alongside the bios
update

I hope that I will get a reply, or it will be posted by TOSHIBA iin the near future.

maxresti
30.01.2009, 13:10
if try to reinstall the original cd using the usb, when the software for partition start, release the error 20022...and quit the installation!
but toshiba test your products or nothing?:-(

malcolli
02.02.2009, 13:33
*Reply from TOSHIBA:*

¨The reason for requesting that you recover the notebook in this
circumstance was to eliminate any changes from the OS which was
preventing you from updating the Bios. As per one of my original emails,
we where unable to replicate this on any of our NB100's

As Ubuntu is an "open source" platform, Toshiba cannot be liable for any
updates which may result in further issues. On such occasions Toshiba
will look into this however cannot guarantee that a resolution would be
found. On such occasions, a product recovery may be suggested.

This bios has been tested having no issues, therefore the suggestion
provided was within the remit.¨

sandman652001
02.02.2009, 14:11
Just out of curiosity since windows xp is a "commercial product" will Toshiba be asking us to do a full recovery of that operating system as well? I'm sure Toshiba cannot be liable for any updates which Microsoft may release and may result in further issues!
I find the reply lame to say the least, since Toshiba sells the product that has the "open source platform" installed it should be responsible for it !

Just as I am sure it discusses problems with MS I see no reason for it not to do the same with Canonical considering that the "open source platform" that it speaks of is officially only a OEM product

RGDS
an insulted customer

magnetra7
03.02.2009, 21:00
Does anyone know this bios update solves the problem that the brightness is being reset after reboot / resume from suspend or hibernate? Is it really worth to update my bios? I currently run version 1.10.

@malcolli: Did you noticed any difference between 1.10 and 1.60, is the bootup faster / more options in bios?

Message was edited by: magnetra7

malcolli
03.02.2009, 22:05
Regret to say I have not noticed any difference with the new BIOS or noticed anything different in the BIOS set up.

I have asked several times what the alterations, updates, fixes were, but there has been NO response to that particular question.

I also have not noticed the brightness changing after reset reboot, so I'll check that over the next few days.

malcolli
03.02.2009, 22:55
The new BIOS does not correct the brightness from resume or hibernate.
Mine goes to back to full rightness on resume from hibernate.

Akuma
04.02.2009, 00:28
The US site has the BIOS changes for their NB100, however they are only up to v1.50

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/home.jsp?nav=Download

malcolli
04.02.2009, 19:32
Thanks Akuma, as far as I can see, this is for the windows version, but Linux is mentioned once.
The reason for the bios update, even for Linux users might be in the change history attached which IS attached to the website. The change history is shown below for those interested.

Description

Release Notes
# The change points includes changes for BIOS versions 1.20 through 1.50.

Change History

Version 1.50 - 2008-12-19
o SCU will hang when pressing the space key to change language.
o Disables the KB and PS/2 mouse when flashing the BIOS.
o Changed: CPU supports C4 only in DC mode.
o Updated the VBIOS to disable unnecessary settings.
o Fixed: When RTC is lost can not find BT.
o Fixed: When using 3G wireless and USB Memory, can not boot to OS.
o Fixed: When a CRT is attached and the display mode is set to Auto-Selected in BIOS, the TOSHIBA LOGO appears twice.
o EC turns off SB power when system (XP) shuts down to prevent color screen issue.
o Improved cycling fail rate.
o Added additional BIOS interface for the flash utility.
o Fixed: Linux can't boot when the SATA controller is changed to Compatibility mode.
o Support added for the Realtek/Silego clock generator.
o Modified the pixel clock to auto switch the VBIOS for 3G and non 3G modules.

atlas95
04.02.2009, 23:05
Hi !
How to do so for upgrade ? With ubuntu hardy lpia (ubuntu netbook remix) i obtain this :

insmod isfl_drv.ko
insmod: error inserting 'isfl_drv.ko': -1 Invalid module format

Where i can get the official repair cd ?

Regards,

sandman652001
05.02.2009, 08:56
You get the official repair cd with the NB100, if you lost it I saw a post somewhere on this forum that mentioned a website where you could order a replacement

chronos
27.06.2009, 18:28
There is a workaround: https://bugs.launchpad.net/netbook-remix/+bug/348198
It worked for me. Hope i helped.

Cheers,
David

halfords
20.07.2009, 00:09
have managed to get a usb disk to boot but am lost on how to run the bios update as the link says

- extract the contents of ll10v190.exe (it's a ZIP archive)
- loopback-mount or extract the contents of ll10v190.iso found in the above
- loopback-mount (-t vfat -o loop) 2290D190.IMA somewhere

i have these on the usb but they dont run, very new to linux and any help would be great thanks very much

billaboard
20.07.2009, 00:47
I'm also new to Linux, but am getting a lot of help with Ubuntu after asking questions on the horrendously busy Ubuntu forums.

The advice I'm getting is never to update the bios unless there is a specific known reason to do so. I've read through the changes up to version 1.50 posted earlier in this thread, and can't see anything there that looks worth the risk of changing.

If I did decide to change, I suppose that I'd try to backup the whole machine using something like Partimage, re-install the original image from the recovery CD and then try reloading the later image. I'd need an external HD and external DVD drive, so it all gets a bit expensive.

I assume this would work, as the bios has to be blown into some permanent memory on the machine.

What worries me is that I've re-partitioned the drive and loaded the later Ubuntu 9.04 (see an earlier post of mine) with a different partitioning arrangement. I'm not sure whether the remaining few problems would be helped by a newer bios or not.

Today we have been testing Skype between my NB100 and a family member with a Sony netbook with a 1.3GHz Atom processor running Vista (!). Neither netbook performed as well as the identical 'normal' laptops that we used at each end of the link to send'receive into. The Sony video froze repeatedly, and the processor usage was constant at 90 to 100%, but audio was good. The Toshiba video was more reliable, but there were significant 'holes' in the audio, although the 2 processor 'cores' settled at around 75% when running sound and vision. There is a theory that Skype for Linux is several generations behind Skype for Windows, but there is also a lot of confusion in my mind about how the audio in the Toshiba should be set up. Anybody know if a bios update would improve the audio?

In reality for normal use I'm very happy with the NB100 as it is. Sorry to have muddied the water by part-hijacking this thread.