PDA

View Full Version : NB100 with Vista restarting with Wi-Fi on

zpaolo
15.01.2009, 20:44
Hello everyone, my girlfriend recently was given a Toshiba NB100, I got a copy of Windows Vista and installed it on the netbook. I know, Vista is heavy and so on, but I must say that it works flawlessly and, once the OS is tailored not to be too resource hungry, at more than decent speed.

There is a problem though, when the netbook is connected via wi-fi to our router, sometimes it suddenly restarts. It does not show any BSOD or freezing of applications, it just reboot. This is not related just to enabling or disabling wi-fi: we had wi-fi enabled, connected via Bluetooth/UMTS to the net, and it worked well without rebooting for a week. When wi-fi is enabled and connected to the router it sometimes reboot. this is quite strange, does anyone have suggestion?

Thanks and regards

Paolo

Feliks
16.01.2009, 16:05
Hello

I don't know if this will help but please enter BIOS settings and check entries in advanced settings. On most notebooks there you can find option “Wake-up on Wireless LAN”. Be sure this option is disabled.

toshibauser1
17.01.2009, 01:41
Yes, this is a chronic problem with the NB100: random hardware restarts or machine freezes, whether running Linux or Windows (XP/Vista/7).There is NO BIOS or driver update or any solution for it. I strongly recommend that people don't buy this horrible model (not to mention its awfu,l noisy keyboard). You can suddenly lose precious work with this very unpredictable and frequent hardware bug, as you see the screen suddenly blanking and the machine freezing with power lights on, or Windows unexpectedly rebooting in the middle of anything or even while the machine is idle (Windows event log shows kernel hardware faults and unexpected shudowns). It's a model design issue and not an isolated problem in some faulty machine. Avoid the NB100, even if they soon start to sell it at half price!

toshibauser1
17.01.2009, 01:42
Yes, this is a chronic problem with the NB100: random hardware restarts or machine freezes, whether running Linux or Windows (XP/Vista/7).There is NO BIOS or driver update or any solution for it. I strongly recommend that people don't buy this horrible model (not to mention its awfu,l noisy keyboard). You can suddenly lose precious work with this very unpredictable and frequent hardware bug, as you see the screen suddenly blanking and the machine freezing with power lights on, or Windows unexpectedly rebooting in the middle of anything or even while the machine is idle (Windows event log shows kernel hardware faults and unexpected shudowns). It's a model design issue and not an isolated problem in some faulty machine. Avoid the NB100, even if they soon start to sell it at half price!

NB100
17.01.2009, 01:45
Yes, this is a chronic problem with the nb100: random hardware restarts or machine freezes, whether running Linux or Windows (XP/Vista/7).There is NO BIOS or driver update or any solution for it. I strongly recommend that people don't buy this horrible model (not to mention its awful noisy keyboard). You can suddenly lose precious work with this very unpredictable and frequent hardware bug, as you see the screen suddenly blanking and the machine freezing with power lights on, or Windows unexpectedly rebooting in the middle of anything or even while the machine is idle (Windows event log shows kernel hardware faults and unexpected shudowns). It's a model design issue and not an isolated problem in some faulty machine. Avoid the NB100, even if they soon start to sell it at half price!

malcolli
17.01.2009, 11:40
There is a bios update available from Toshiba for the NB100, both windows and Linux.
Unfortunately there are no instructions on how to do it (that I can find anyway).

http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/download_bios.jsp?service=UK

zpaolo
18.01.2009, 13:05
I've upgraded the bios some days ago, the NB100 worked well for some hours, the next day it crashed immediatly after power on, then no crashes for the whole day. I'm now testing it, looks like with the new bios the crash rate is greatly reduced BUT not completely. If the problem can't be solved in a couple of days I'll give it back...