14.01.2009, 20:23
How to replace hard disk in Toshiba NB100

Can anyone help me ?

TY

Sergio

Message was edited by: faggiano

Akuma
15.01.2009, 05:07
I believe the HDD is under the top cover which is hard to get to.

You should get a Service Center to do it for you, so nothing gets damaged and your warranty stays valid.

Raver
15.01.2009, 10:29
It is not so easy to change the HDD on this model.
You must disassemble a lot of parts like keyboard, display, top cover and remove many screws.
This is a little bit tricky so you should have experience with this.

As Akuma said, go to a local ASP (authorized service provider). They can help you to replace the HDD.

CompufixUK
25.01.2009, 08:31
Its really not that hard to replace / upgrade, if youre careful! Took me about 40 minutes to put a 250GB one in.

Here are some instructions....

1) Remove the battery, turn the unit over and press the power button for a few seconds to remove any residual power in the motherboard.

2) Turn the unit over and remove every screw you can see, there are 11 I think. There is also one under where the battery sits.

3) Turn the unit over and open up the screen, now prize up the cover where the power button is from either end.

4) There is one screw either side under this cover holding the keyboard down, remove them.

5) CAREFULLY lift up the keyboard from the top, under it you will see a ribbon cable in the lower centre, unclip the locking bar and gently pull out the ribbon from the motherboard. Now you will see the HDD on the left side under the cover, thats where you need to get.

6) Youll see in the lower right corner a small ribbon connector, for the touchpad, unclip and remove it gently.
There are two connectors in the centre with cables coming from the display, disconnect them and unhook the wiring.

7) Under an insulator strip at the top right of the motherboard there are two connectors for aerials, unclip them.

8) There are two screws, either side at the top holding the display, remove them and the display will be removeable.

9) Remove every screw you can find in the top cover of the lower half, and gently prise it from the underside, separating the two halves, if it wont separate, youve missed one, have a closer look.

10) You can now remove the two screws securing the HDD in (on the left of it) Unclip the HDD, turn it over and youll see four screws holding the HDD to the bracket, remove them, and refit the bracket to your new HDD.

11) Refitting is a complete reversal of removal, bearing in mind that some of the screws are different lenghts, you must replace them in their original positions.

Hope this helps.

Everything what you do is your own RISK!

d123
26.01.2009, 22:49
I also fitted a 250GB HDD, your instructions are pretty clear, but I would add that I found I didnt need to disconnect the touchpad connector (it looked a little delicate, if I'm honest), it was possible to get to the HDD fittings with it still connected.

Dave

CompufixUK
29.01.2009, 08:29
True, I diddnt have to remove it, but im a little heavy handed and diddnt want to damage it when splitting the lower half. I found it easier to reconnect than the keyboard ribbon.

uae
20.05.2009, 15:58
Hi All,

I already removed all screws on the back side including the one behind the battery. I belived Step Number 3 is not possible. Could you please provide more guidance?

AlexVas
21.05.2009, 00:58
Hi faggiano!

Could you take some photos on your way please? And post them to some bolog or flickr? I would be pretty keen to see what's inside. ;o)

Thanks!

PS. CompufixUK - very good instructions. Thank you.

uae
29.06.2009, 22:49
Any Experts,
I already removed all screws on the back side including the one behind the battery. I belived Step Number 3 is not possible. Could you please provide more guidance?

Regards,
UAE

uae
05.07.2009, 22:43
{color:#ff0000}*Reminder*
{color}

Regards,
UAE

urhar
05.08.2009, 22:46
1st, THANK CompufixUK for the guide. i had change hdd for 30 times, enjoy wonderfull jobs.THANK YOU!! as #3, to take out the cover, put the screen flat level, 180 degree, it has tongues at both side, use finger pull up cover from the back, your nail lift up cover at MIDDLE of front cover, other nail release the tongue shutter at the side.... in addition, take care screws size, when you put them back,....F10 = 10mm, F5 =5mm

otsigolf
01.01.2010, 23:41
Here are some pictures and instructions in Italian:

http://netbookitalia.it/toshiba-nb100-guida-al-disassemblaggio.html

Tamaro
11.01.2010, 01:54
I have the same problem, wow, it seems complicated but i will try your solutions and will let you know. Thanks!

eastpath
04.09.2012, 17:44
Thanks, this is very helpful and straightforward. I just extended the life of my NB100 by fitting a 64GB SSD to it.