PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 8 questions from new owner of Satellite Pro L300

no_user
06.01.2009, 19:18
Hello all forum users!

I bought a new Toshiba laptop, the Satellite Pro L300, and have until 14 January to test it - if it looks like it isn't working properly I'll return it to the store where I purchased it.

Here's a list of questions I have:

1. Every time I turn on the laptop or it comes out of suspended or hibernation mode, and when I turn it off, the cd/dvd drive makes a loud mechanical clunky noise.

It sounds to me like the carriage that carries the laser and optics is running into a mechanical stop.

Is this normal?

2. There is one hot subpixel on the display (blue) and according to the Toshiba info in the box, this is normal and is not cause for return.

Should I be concerned about this?

3. When I run the memory test at system boot, it states that it will start windows automatically at test termination, and show me the results of the test.

It runs the test, starts Vista, but I don't see any results report.

Where do I find this report?
Is there a known problem with this test?

4. The Toshiba utility program to perform diagnostics from within Vista does not work. Every time I run the test (PCdiag.exe) I get a Vista error message saying a fault was found in KERNEL32.dll.

Where can I get a fix for this?
I've already installed the updated files on Toshiba's web site for the 'Value Added Pack', which is where this utility is located, but still get the error message.

5. I would like to access the bios settings at boot, but haven't found the way to do it yet.
F2 gives me a menu for memory test or normal system boot.
Esc doesn't get me into bios setup either.
There is a Toshiba bios utility I can run from Vista, and from what I see any bios firmware upgrades are also to be done through Vista.

Is there a way to access bios at boot?

6. I would like to run XP on this system and understood that this model (Pro L300 PSLB1E) was XP compatible, and that I should be able to download all drivers from Toshiba to run on XP.

Has anyone done this?

7. The laptop installed and configured Vista basic when I did the first power on, but the license sticker on the bottom of the laptop has a product key for 'Vista Business OEMAct'. I was sold this laptop as having Vista Business with the option to downgrade to XP Pro. The box didn't come with any cds or dvds, and no manuals explaining how to install Vista Business.

This is enough reason to return the laptop to the store where I bought it, which is a hassle I would prefer to avoid if I can install Vista Business.

Can anyone help me understand what is happening here?

8. Is there a way to contact technical support by email?

Thanks in advance to anybody that can answer any of the above questions!

Horwath
13.01.2009, 17:09
Hello

Two weeks ago I worked several days on friends Satellite Pro L300. Your questions are interesting and I will try to offer some answer or comment.

1. This behaviour is normal. I have noticed it on other notebook models too. At the moment I use Satellite P200D and I have noticed the same.

2. Obviously you have noticed one “death pixel” on the screen and more about that you can read on
http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB5400ZD0002R01.htm
http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/FAQ8702EI0000R01.htm

3. Maybe follow links can help for better understanding:
http://web1.toshiba.ca/support/techsupport/tsbs/all/-TSB001369.htm
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial146.html

4. What to say about it? I didn’t notice this error and I can just recommend to reinstall complete VAP. Remove preinstalled from the system, restart your notebook and install the latest version from Toshiba download page.

5. When you start the notebook at the bottom you can find info how to enter BIOS settings. Usually it must be F2. I really don't understand what is wrong in your case but F2 must work. Press it immediately after switching your notebook ON. Press it several times. It must work

6. If you can find WXP drivers, tools and utilities on Toshiba download page you should be able to install and configure WXP on this notebook model. For WXP installation please uses WXP SP2.

7. This must be clarified with your local dealer. The fact is that Toshiba doesn’t offer any CD/DVD and recovery DVD must be created by notebook owner. I presume you didn’t saw or read Toshiba reminder about it. This reminder explains exact what should be done.
The recovery media can be created using preinstalled “Toshiba recovery creator”. The shortcut is placed on the desktop.

8. I am afraid you must contact hotline but as far as I know Toshiba has hotline for free.
Make a call and ask if there is something you want to know.

Good luck!

Gipsyman
13.01.2009, 17:15
> 1. Every time I turn on the laptop or it comes out of suspended or hibernation mode, and when I turn it off, the cd/dvd drive makes a loud mechanical clunky noise.
My CD/DVD drives make similar noise too from time to time. Not always but sometimes. I think this appears because the drive’s laser lens calibrates in the right position.

> 2. There is one hot subpixel on the display (blue) and according to the Toshiba info in the box, this is normal and is not cause for return.
Well, you need an certain amount of dead pixels to get a screen replacement
Please check this FAQ:
http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB5400ZD0002R01.htm

> 3. When I run the memory test at system boot, it states that it will start windows automatically at test termination, and show me the results of the test.
There is no problem. I believe you mean the memory test while POST (power on self test). If there would be a memory fault then your notebook would not boot up properly.

> 4. The Toshiba utility program to perform diagnostics from within Vista does not work. Every time I run the test (PCdiag.exe) I get a Vista error message saying a fault was found in KERNEL32.dll.
Hmm… the Value Added Package contains the PC diagnostic tool for Vista. I would recommend removing the old VAP and reinstalling the new downloaded from the page.

> 5. I would like to access the bios settings at boot, but haven't found the way to do it yet. F2 gives me a menu for memory test or normal system boot. Esc doesn't get me into bios setup either. There is a Toshiba bios utility I can run from Vista, and from what I see any bios firmware upgrades are also to be done through Vista.
The notebook seems to use the Phoenix BIOS and therefore pressing the F2 button should enable the BIOS. Press the F2 immediately after notebook has been powered up.

> 6. I would like to run XP on this system and understood that this model (Pro L300 PSLB1E) was XP compatible, and that I should be able to download all drivers from Toshiba to run on XP.
Such XP drivers are placed on the Toshiba European page.

>7. The laptop installed and configured Vista basic when I did the first power on, but the license sticker on the bottom of the laptop has a product key for 'Vista Business OEMAct'. I was sold this laptop as having Vista Business with the option to downgrade to XP Pro. The box didn't come with any cds or dvds, and no manuals explaining how to install Vista Business.
Never hear that this notebook would be delivered with Vista business… As far as I know this series has been preinstalled with Vista Home Premium

> 8. Is there a way to contact technical support by email?
If you have some problems with your notebook you can contact your ASP in your country.