PDA

View Full Version : Fan Death on Protege 770 CTE

hongas
18.10.2008, 03:02
Hello, I am new user this forum and just want to say hello.

I have problem with my Portege 7720 CTE
Specs:
Intel PIII pro cess 646 MHZ
80GB samsung HD
320 MB of RAM (upgrade to full)
running MS-windows XP SP2.

It was working all fine then one day, the computer turns itself off. with no reason what so ever.

then I found out that all my main fans stop working, (I mean I can hear hard drive is spining) but NOT the fan on the bottom. STOPPED completely.
I blow air gun, it spins freely so not stuck or anytying...

what could be the problem? and also How do I find out if the computer is turning itself off because ITS TOO HOT?

is there thermometer in the BIOS?

I also have the DOCKING STATION but the fan on that doesn't spin neither... :( what's going on?) maybe temp sensor is broken so doenst know when FAN to kick in, so when over heats it just tuen itself off? so many guesses but no answer... :(

Please help! this is very good stable computer until...now... spend few $$ upgrade on it... then this happens.

thank you very much

Joey :)

Message was edited by: hongas

Eldorado
22.10.2008, 15:40
> It was working all fine then one day, the computer turns itself off. with no reason what so ever.
This happens if the internal temperature increases to a higher value and cause an overheating. The notebook supports an overheating protection and it shuts down automatically to prevent the hardware from damage.

> Then I found out that all my main fans stop working, (I mean I can hear hard drive is spining) but NOT the fan on the bottom
Well, if the cooling module is dead then it must be replaced by an notebook technician.
I would recommend contacting the authorized service partner for an notebook check and for cooling module replacement.

Good luck

Terentino
22.10.2008, 18:49
Hello

I can remember at this oldie. It is still nice notebook with attractive design and I can imagine you like it very very much.
So what to say about your issue? The fact is that there is probably some problem with overheating and I can imagine the cooling fan is defective. I can understand that you have so many questions but please be a little bit realistic. You donít have maintenance manuals, you donít have diagnostic tools you donít have anything for all this you want to do.

What you can do is to buy new cooling fan and replace it alone. You will be lucky if the problem is fan only. Maybe is some electronic component on the mainboard defective. How you want to find it out which one? Maybe you must exchange the whole maonboard. So, as you can see we can here just speculate about your problem but nobody here will be able to say for sure what you must do.

One more thing: disassembling procedure without manuals and exact disassembling description can be risky but you donít have any choice. No you have a choice, either you will try to replace cooling fan on own risk or you will ask for professional help.

Good luck!