PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Pro L300 - Toshiba Hotkey Properties will not end

rphair
13.09.2008, 19:38
Dear Toshiba enthusiasts:

This week we installed three new Toshiba Satellite Pro L300 systems (two L300-153, one L300-156) with the provided Windows XP Product Recovery media from the L300-156 (no date on the disc, just two codes: GMR400841EN0 and CD 5D124624).

The machines are beautiful and very efficient except for one problem: when logging off or shutting down Windows XP, the program called "Toshiba Hotkey Properties" does not end automatically, and pops up an "End Program" dialogue box. The user can end the program immediately by clicking the "End Now" button or wait for it to time out, after which the system logs out and/or shuts down normally.

We noticed it only after installing Service Pack 3 on all machines, so I don't know if the problem was present before SP3 was applied. (We will definitely check for this on the next system and post the result.) Installing the remainder of the Windows Updates relative to Service Pack 3 didn't fix the problem. Neither did uninstalling Toshiba Hotkey Utility followed by installing the current, freshly downloaded package from Toshiba's support area.

A colleague suggested disabling related startup programs. There are two likely choices for this in the +Startup+ list of +msconfig+: *thotkey* and *TFncKy*. Disabling either one of these programs makes the problem disappear, but the functions of the *Fn* keys are lost. The key functions are also lost when uninstalling the Toshiba Hotkey Utility.

My question is two-part:
# How can this problem be solved permanently, or worked around (other than telling the customer never to log out & always close the cover to hibernate)?
# If there is no solution yet, how can a bug report be placed with Toshiba, so I can get them the information they need to fix this problem, and to establish accountability?
I will continue to post new information here as I acquire it until a permanent solution is reached.

Though this problem seems trivial and “cosmetic” it is still embarrassing to have to deliver brand new machines to customers with such an obvious flaw. It makes both ourselves and Toshiba look bad, especially after we’ve sold the idea that people are avoiding problems like this by choosing a Windows XP-based platform over Vista.

Many thanks, Robert Phair
Director,

rphair
13.09.2008, 23:44
... just a minor correction to the above: the "End Program" dialogue never in fact times out; it just switches to another box requiring the user to confirm ending Toshiba Hotkey Properties before the system shuts down or logs off.

Again, this is the kind of thing that could be disorienting for the inexperienced user.

Would hope to get a response from a Toshiba engineer if there are any monitoring this forum.

thanks again, Robert

Eldorado
14.09.2008, 11:00
> when logging off or shutting down Windows XP, the program called "Toshiba Hotkey Properties" does not end automatically, and pops up an "End Program" dialogue box…..
> We noticed it only after installing Service Pack 3 on all machines, so I don't know if the problem was present before SP3 was applied

The issues could be caused by Win XP SP3. I read many times that the SP3 could be not fully compatible with some 3rd drivers or tools…
So I assume there is a compatibility issue between these exe files and SP3.
By the way; the SP3 is not fully released and tested!

I have installed SP3 for some testing on my old non-Toshiba notebook and my LAN card didn’t work… So it’s really possible that SP3 causes this.

> There are two likely choices for this in the Startup list of msconfig: thotkey and TFncKy. Disabling either one of these programs makes the problem disappear, but the functions of the Fn keys are lost

This is clear… the thotkey and TFncKy files belong to the applications which control the FN buttons… SO if you would disable this in msconfig then the buttons would not work.

So a solution might be a removing of SP3 from the system.
Furthermore you should try to clean the OS and the registry using the free tool like CCleaner.

> Would hope to get a response from a Toshiba engineer if there are any monitoring this forum.
I would hope this too but it looks like this forum is only a user-to-user forum.
So if you want to report this notebook behavior, contact the Toshiba ASP in your country…

Cheers

rphair
14.09.2008, 20:58
> {quote:title=Eldorado wrote:}{quote}
> So I assume there is a compatibility issue between these exe files and SP3.
> By the way; the SP3 is not fully released and tested!
{quote:title=I've just reinstalled our one remaining machine from the XP Recovery disc described above, and it has the problem *+prior to the application of SP3+*. Specifically: installing from this disc, right out of the box onto a brand new piece of hardware, shows the problem the very first time the system is restarted. Therefore:}{quote}
* {quote:title=the problem is completely reproducible}{quote}
* {quote:title=the problem must be happening elsewhere as well}{quote}
{quote:title=The software versions on this disc (for Toshiba Assist, Power Saver, and Hotkey Properties) are all the same version IDs as those currently available on the web site. Someone outside this forum also suggested that it might be BIOS, but I've checked that the BIOS version on this machine is also the most up-to-date available.}{quote}
> {quote:title=Eldorado wrote:}{quote}
> > Would hope to get a response from a Toshiba engineer if there are any monitoring this forum.
> I would hope this too but it looks like this forum is only a user-to-user forum.
> So if you want to report this notebook behavior, contact the Toshiba ASP in your country…
{quote:title=Since this seems to be an engineering problem, I would need to file some kind of bug report with Toshiba. If I am wrong about this, I hope someone will }{quote}*please* c{quote:title=orrect me, but the ASP in our area generally handles nothing but warranty service, and would only be able to take the machine back to make sure it works as distributed by Toshiba (which it does, which is the problem!). According to what I have seen, this is not a problem with one L300 machine, but with all of them that are installed from this software disc, now and in the future.}{quote}

{quote:title=If a technical solution or workaround does not exist then the real question to answer is: "What is the process for bug reporting and resolution with Toshiba?" Our customers would be willing to live with the problem above if they could be shown that the vendor was in the process of resolving it, however long that may take.}{quote}

{quote:title=In the meantime, as long as we have one of these machines in stock I will be open to trying any solution or workaround that anyone suggests, and to do whatever possible to gather any information that may be helpful, while this bug is being investigated by Toshiba.}{quote}

many thanks, Robert

rphair
08.10.2008, 22:33
We finally have a solution about this (courtesy of Eoin McLoughlin of University College, Dublin):

The Hotkeys problem is fixed by a patch to the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver. The Online Product Information tool provides a link to the patched graphics driver on affected systems:
* http://support.toshiba-tro.de/tools/addendum/top100013/displaydriver.zip

According to the PDF file displayed by the tool, this driver should be installed after removing the old Intel driver via Add/Remove programs. We didn't see this message since we had been removing the Online Product Information package.

I guess the moral of the story is that Big Brother watching you isn't always a bad thing.

over & out, Robert