PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Pro L100 keeps crashing

georgina
19.08.2008, 22:24
Hi, I have a two year old Satellite Pro L100. Up until now it has worked fairly well, though about 6 weeks ago it started automatically shutting itself down when i was in the middle of using it. At first I thought it was a heating problem, so I've been sure to keep it on a flat hard surface and have a fan where I work anyway. I also thought it may be a fault with the dvd drive, so i've stopped using that and did a system restore a few weeks ago.

Lately though it has become increasingly frequent - it shut down 7 times today, sometimes after only being on for 10-15 minutes or so. I'm still clueless as to what the problem is - I've run virus checks and there's no problem. Does anyone have any advice as to what I should do?

I'm trying to write my dissertation for university, which is due in soon, and am finding this problem (and the added stress!) not helpful!

Could it possibly be a design defect (I have only had it two years). Has anyone else reported similar problems?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Georgina

DennisFarina
25.08.2008, 14:24
Sounds like the cooling system could be full of dust.

If the machine is still in warranty I would highly recommend you to send the machine to an authorized service partner for a hardware checkup.
If NOT, then do the following:

Buy a can with compressed air and blow some some air trough the ventilation holes but be gently when blowing. The fan could be damaged when blowing too long, so I would suggest to blow 2-3 seconds, wait a second and then repeat the procedure until the dust has been completely removed. Additionally I would clean up everything around the ventilation holes with a small brush.

Greets