PDA

View Full Version : Tecra 9000: Agere minPCI WLan card does not work

tecra_lover
28.06.2008, 18:46
Hi,

I can't get my Toshiba Tecra 9000 to work with the Agere MiniPCI Wireless LAN card.
The Wifi card is 100% working since I tested it in my friend's Tecra 9000.
The drivers are installed correctly.

But when I enable the hardware switch at the notebooks side the status led remains dark. In addition, the Agere MiniPCI Wlan Card is not shown in the XP control panel.

Any solutions?

Tanks.

MrPacman
01.07.2008, 15:41
Perhaps it is a good idea to check if the card really was inserted right and the connections to the antennas are correct.
Maybe you should update your BIOS version to activate wlan support? Don't know for sure, but would be worth a try.

Good luck.

Horwath
01.07.2008, 16:56
>…the Agere MiniPCI Wlan Card is not shown in the XP control panel.
And what is with Device Manager? Is the card listed there?

tecra_lover
03.07.2008, 18:23
> {quote:title=Horwath wrote:}{quote}
> >...the Agere MiniPCI Wlan Card is not shown in the XP control panel.
> And what is with Device Manager? Is the card listed there?

The Wifi card is plugged in correctly, wired correctly, but it is not recognized in the XP control panel.

Maybe this is some issue with the Tecra 9000 mainbaord. I will cannibalise an old Tecra 9000 for parts and change the mainbaord. Perhaps this does the trick.

JoeyJabalow
04.07.2008, 08:21
Nice idea, if you can handle this. Have you done something like that before? I believe this is not as easy as it sounds, but well, why not try, if you can find an old and cheap machine.

So, best of luck and maybe you can post the outcome. I'm interested in how you have done in reassembling.

tecra_lover
07.07.2008, 01:09
> {quote:title=JoeyJabalow wrote:}{quote}
> Nice idea, if you can handle this. Have you done something like that before? I believe this is not as easy as it sounds, but well, why not try, if you can find an old and cheap machine.
> So, best of luck and maybe you can post the outcome. I'm interested in how you have done in reassembling.

JoeyJabalow,

disassembly and reassembly isn't really a problem.

There is a guide available at http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba9100/disassembly/tecra9100_1.htm. It covers other Toshiba models too, but do not open your notebook unless you absolutely know what you are doing.

Since the Tecra 9000 is a rather old notebook, you can also find lots of spare parts at affordable prices.

I will post the outcome here as soon as I have finished working.

HomerJ
14.07.2008, 13:56
Sounds good. I'm excited on the outcome of your project. If it is still alive afterwards, maybe I'll give it a try and upgrade my old ones with some nice hardware too and use it as an wlan media server or something like that.

Greets,
HomerJ