PDA

View Full Version : Re: Satellite A60 - overheating problem

dardeb
23.05.2008, 15:49
Hi

I have some difficulty to set temperature and fan on my Satellite A60.
The OS running is Debian and the fan only works at temperatures about 60-65 Celsius (without any processes started after the login).
I had installed some utilities like toshutils, fancontrol, lm-sensors ... but fundamentally I not found a workaround for this:

#modprobe toshiba_acpi
Error: No such device

#modprobe toshiba
Error: No such device

Now, I ask you an hint, please.
If there's no alternative solutions, recompiling kernel 2.6.24 (or others) is a fix to this issue? If answer is "Yes", how prepare the source package?

For now system works, but not fine, and at this latitude this issue is NOT a good prelude for my summer work.

Best Regards

alphaleader
23.05.2008, 16:18
Hm,

did you already checked the debian/gentoo/ubuntu forums? Or maybe freshmeat.net where all toshutils are listed in their projects?

Unfortunately I cannot tell you why the modprobe won´t work but did you compiled the toshiba ACPI option into the kernel? There should be something which controls the ACPI functions explicitely trough the kernel with the help of the userlevel tools.

By the way: did you read the logs after trying the modprobe of the modules you´ve listed? Please do the modprobe more "verbose", maybe there is something utilizable...

Greets

dardeb
24.05.2008, 18:26
#modprobe -v toshiba-acpi
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.24-1-686/kernel/drivers/acpi/toshiba_acpi.ko
FATAL: Error inserting toshiba_acpi (/lib/modules/2.6.24-1-686/kernel/drivers/acpi/toshiba_acpi.ko): No such device

#modprobe -v toshiba
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.24-1-686/kernel/drivers/char/toshiba.ko
FATAL: Error inserting toshiba (/lib/modules/2.6.24-1-686/kernel/drivers/char/toshiba.ko): No such device

I have asked about ACPI options in the kernel in a Debian forum, but there are a lot of indications in README of toshutils package for a reasonable doubt.
So, I rebooted with WinXP and configured the Toshiba Power Management until I've obtained 50°C average.
Then, after the Linux boot, I've appreciated 50°C stable average. This not solve properly the Debian issue, but is a workaround for me, because I don't want to definitely remove Windows but work principally on Debian.

Thanks for support.
I hope append a trace of a new improvement