PDA

View Full Version : Portege 3500: Need a new HDD

owenp185
17.04.2008, 18:25
Hi

I bought a Portege 3500 and after a few weeks of use the hard drive or fan(sure) started to make loud noises and now when ever I turn on the laptop the toshiba screens comes up and it eventually gets to a screen which I have writen what it says below.

I read somewhere that it means my hard drive has finished and I will need to buy a new hard drive.
Is this true and if so does anyone know where i can get a hard drive because the laptop is old?

The only one I have seen that is in stock is about £230 and thats about the same price I bought the laptop.
Or is there a solution Ive tried going on to all the different modes but it just restarts and Ive also tried reinstalling the OS using the cd but I can not get on the option menu to reinstall XP.

"We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

Seconds until Windows starts: 30"

Jeffrey
17.04.2008, 20:05
Hi

As far as I know Portege 3500 was equipped with the 40GB IDE HDD.
Therefore you have to use a IDE HDDs (not SATA).

Now it would be important to know what max HD size could be compatible;
If the notebook supports 40GB then I think that a 60GB HDD could run too.

I think you should simply google for some 40GB, 60GB HDDs which supports the IDE interface!

Best regards

owenp185
17.04.2008, 22:59
Thanks, I thought that only a hard drive with the same part number as the original hdd would work. So if I look for any "40GB IDE HDD" it should work in my laptop or will it have to be made specifically for the portege 3500?

Ive googled IDE HDD but most dont look as thought they will work for the Portege.

Markus77
18.04.2008, 14:48
> So if I look for any "40GB IDE HDD" it should work in my laptop
Yes, usually it should work in your Portege 3500. But you need a 2.5” HDD. You know…. It’s a HDD for a notebook and not for a desktop PC ;)

owenp185
24.05.2008, 22:21
Sorry for taking long to reply anyway I found this on ebay do you know if a harddrive like this will work and fit inside? Im happy with a 40gb frive as thats is the same amount it has originally. Also the HHD in the link is used and is a low price so I dont think I should buy it as it may stop working after a short period like the one my laptop came with but do you know if other HHDs the same be compatible with my laptop. Heres the link... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toshiba-40GB-2-5-IDE-Laptop-Hard-Drive-MK4032GAX_W0QQitemZ110255520374QQihZ001QQcategoryZ 131549QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem