PDA

View Full Version : Tecra 8100 doesn't boot.

tokafondo
29.03.2008, 21:52
Hello. I have this Tecra 8100 I'm thinking of selling for parts, because I'm mad with it. But before doing that, I ask here as a last measure.

It seems the "power" section of the notebook works fine: If I plug the power supply, the "dc in" and "battery" leds lights up, and the "battery" led even go from orange to green when the battery gets charged.

If I press the "power on" button, the "power" led lights up. The hard drive starts to spin. The fan does nothing, and no 'beep' is heard at all. Also, the screen shows nothing. External VGA output or TV output shows nothing, too. I repeat that NO BEEP is heard, until...

I close the lid. A long beep is heard when I close the lid, but no trace of image on the screen.

I have changed or upgraded nothing of the notebook: memory, CPU, etc.

I opened and took of every piece of it: motherboard, internal battery, sound board, leds and buttons board... and tried to connect them our of the case so t could be a short circuit with no luck at all.

Could it be a BIOS problem?

Can the BIOS be reflashed in this state, like the AWARD BIOS?

Is there any keys or buttons I could press to enter some kind of diagnose or service mode?

Thanks.

deesse363
01.04.2008, 13:56
I had this trouble too and I don't know if it will help you, but I have changed the memory card and it works fine now.

meanwhile, we have the same notbook, can you tell me where you have found the motherboard driver? if you can give me the right link,you will help me a lot. thanks

tokafondo
02.04.2008, 08:29
Well, I'll try what you say. The problem is that I upgraded system memory from 64 to 512MB by using two 256MB modules, and I can't find the 64MB one.

The modules are toshiba modules, and I couldn't understand why the system doesn't boot because of them.

What do you mean with "motherboard driver"? Tecra 8100 motherboard is based in the 440BX Intel chipset, that is supported in Windows 2000 and XP. Maybe Windows 98 could need drivers.

R2D2
02.04.2008, 14:59
Hi

The Tecra 8100 doesn’t support any internal memory. Two memory slots are available and it depends on the unit what memory was installed.
Fact is that you can upgrade it to max 512MB (2 x 256MB)

Now to you issue; it sounds like a hardware problem but nobody could be able to provide an exactly diagnosis… everything what we can do is to speculate about the fault.
I think it’s a motherboard issue…

Cheers