PDA

View Full Version : Installing a second operating system (Windows XP) on a Satellite X200 20G



guy77
24.01.2008, 22:46
Hello everybody, I would need your help on the following:

I know lot of posts describe parts of what to do (I spent sometimes on then), but I would like to limit at maximum the risks so I am looking for the most simple and exhaustive guideline for this change.

Why XP? Just because I run lot of astronomy hardware and software,and, well, Vista is not ready yet...
I am happy with Vista for other uses so I will keep it, install XP on the second hard drive and make a dual boot.

First fear: will I have all the appropriate drivers to jump?
I run a Satellite X200 20G PSPB9E-02G021FR and I have found on the Toshiba support site "some" drivers for XP, but it looks as if the display (at least) is missing...

==> 1) could you pls give me a link to a page which lists all the drivers for my specific system?
==> 2) could you pls point me to a post which describes the steps to follow?
==> 3) it looks as if nLite is the right choice to make the XP installation CD, but I assume I could not just launch it under Vista and capture my drivers for XP, is this right?

Thank you very much for your help
Guy

Jayjay
25.01.2008, 10:53
Hi

You are right. It looks like the display driver is not available because the XP seems to be not supported officially. It’s strange.
Maybe you could try the graphic drivers from 3rd party websites like www.omegadrivers.net or www.laptopvideo2go.com.
But I really don’t know if such drivers would work therefore you can install it at your own risk.

Anyway… back to the other questions;
> ==> 1) could you pls give me a link to a page which lists all the drivers for my specific system?
The Toshiba European driver page (I assume you known it) provides all XP drivers (except the display driver ;) ).

> ==> 2) could you pls point me to a post which describes the steps to follow?
On the European driver page you will find the installation instruction .txt file too ;)
You have to install all drivers in the order mentioned in this doc.

> ==> 3) it looks as if nLite is the right choice to make the XP installation CD, but I assume I could not just launch it under Vista and capture my drivers for XP, is this right?
Hmm… I think the nLite should run under Vista too. So you could create your own XP Cd using the nLite software (but you will need the original Win XP CD too). Using the nLite you could include the Intel Storage Manager driver which is necessary and important. Without this driver the XP will not see the HDD!

Good luck

guy77
25.01.2008, 14:25
Hi *Jayjay*, thank you very much for your reply.

> Maybe you could try the graphic drivers from 3rd party websites like www.laptopvideo2go.com.
Yes, this is what I intended to do
>Using the nLite you could include the Intel Storage Manager driver which is necessary and important.
Yes, this one is available in the Toshiba European driver page
>You have to install all drivers in the order mentioned in this doc.
Not sure to understand what you mean here? The Toshiba European driver page list the drivers by alphabetic order...
I don't know how nLite will collect the drivers as it will be the first time I run such a program.

What I plan to do is:
1) Create a new directory on the second hard disk of my X200
2) Copy the entire content of the Windows XP OEM I have bought
3) Create another new directory for the XP drivers
4) Download and unzip all listed XP drivers from the Toshiba European driver page
5) Get the appropriate graphic driver from www.laptopvideo2go.com and decompress it in this directory too
6) Launch nLite and pick up the necessary information from these directories

then

I will create a partition to install XP and launch the newly created CD.

Do you have any comments?
Thank you
Guy.

Jayjay
25.01.2008, 15:33
Once again;
You don’t need to include ALL Toshiba XP drivers into the XP OS using the nLite.
You have to include only the Intel Matrix Storage manger.

The “nLite” is a 3rd party software so goggle around how to use it and how to create an new XP CD!!!

PS; The installation instruction txt file provide the installation order and the driver are NOT listed alphabetically!!

greetings

guy77
25.01.2008, 17:41
Tks Jayjay,

This starts making sense to me ;)

I have found the installation instruction txt which gives the sequence for installation (it was the files which were alphabetically sorted).
I also found a tutorial for nLite.

I will start by including the Intel Matrix Storgae manager.

The only point which is still foggy to me is what to do, right now, with the pile of drivers I have collected...

They are either .zip or .exe files. I have started unpacking each .zip file in specific folders and got lot of files with Setup programs. Should I just keep this available and launch them when my new XP will ask for drivers?

Tks for your patience...

Guy

Silas
25.01.2008, 18:11
Hello

Do not wait anything. When WXP is preinstalled copy all drivers at desktop or on some other folder and start to install all Toshiba stuff following installations order (Installations Instructions document).

guy77
27.01.2008, 11:26
Hello everybody (and Jayjay and Silas in particular),

If you come back in my post, could you pls clarify the following:

To start my XP installation with nLite I need fisrt to incorporate the Intel Matrix Storage manger. It looks as this driver is the same for Vista and XP and is currently located in the C:\Toshiba\Drivers\Robson\Winall\Driver.
==> Is this correct?

I started the nLite steps, pointed to this directory and had the possibility to choose in the Mode section, between either PNP mode or Text mode.
==> Which one should I chose?

If I select Text mode, then I have a long list of options, into which I can select one or more lines.. Two of them looks fine to me for my X200 20G, but I am unsure
- Intel(R) 82801HEM SATA RAID Controller (Mobile ICH8M-E)
- Intel(R) 82801HEM SATA RAID Controller (Mobile ICH8M-E/M)
==> Could you please advise?

Last, as I am sure everybody knows here in this forum, (for me I discovered it recently), the graphic driver is not included in the Toshiba European driver page. I have Googled a bit and found that some people went to 3rd party websites and installed modified desktop nvidia card drivers.
==> I understand that this is at my own risk, but I would appreciate that you point me to "the" driver which worked well for you.

Thanks a lot for your help!...
Guy

Message was edited by: guy77

guy77
29.01.2008, 10:24
Hello there :D

I have installed XP on the Data partition, loaded all given Toshiba drivers and programs and,... it works rather fine! This is a good news, thanks for our advises.

I just have two remaining problems:

1) Some Fn keys are not working anymore (nor is the list of functions keys which appeared before when I was placing the cursor mouse at the top of the screen)... F2, F4, F5, F6 F7(?) and F9 looks to be inactive

I had yet loaded both
- Controls ctrls-fr-20070809112017.zip (This tool allows
you to customize and preset TOSHIBA special button settings)...- Controls drivers ctrlsdrv-20070809122503.zip (This tool
allows you to customize and preset TOSHIBA special button settings)...
But this functionnality is not working

==> any hint?

2) In the Device Manager, one line attached to "Intel(R) ICH8 Familiy PCI Express Root Port 4" remains with a yellow exclamation piont: PCI Memory Controler
It looks that this device is used with Vista only, could you pls confirm? Or let me know which XP driver should I load to use it.

Thank you for your help
Guy.

Message was edited by: guy77
Added the list of not working keys

Message was edited by: guy77

Gipsyman
29.01.2008, 12:58
Hi

I have found this thread and I would try to provide some useful infos.
First of all you have to know that the Windows XP is not official supported on the Sat X200. Therefore some single XP drivers like; graphic card driver, XP BIOS version, etc… are not available on the page.

Furthermore some Toshiba features like the FN buttons don’t work under Windows XP because the BIOS (vista version) doesn’t support this feature.

Regarding the Toshiba Control buttons;
The Controls driver must be installed at first step. Then the Controls tool should be installed.

Regarding the PCI Memory Controller;
You are right; this feature is not supported by Win XP. The PCI memory controler is Intel Turbo Memory also called Intel Flash cache logic chip. It is quite new technology designed to support new Vista capabilities and XP doesn’t supported it.

Hopefully I could clarify some things.

Best regards

mwadams
29.01.2008, 13:52
Hi I have a dual boot configuration on my X200-219

I used the drivers from www.laptopvideo2go.com there are drivers for the 8600M GT under XP ok

If you go to the drivers download page and enter your device id mine was 0407 then it will select a range of drivers you can download with modified inf files where necessary.

I installed a dual system because I was fed with system crashes when playing WOW but under Xp I get none !

Hope that helps

Mark

guy77
29.01.2008, 14:10
Thanks a lot *Gipsyman*, yes it does clarify (at least it explain why it doesn't work...)
Does what you say regarding XP and the BIOS mean that installing the new released updates for the BIOS (e.g.2.20) could bring me to failures under XP?

*mwadams*, thank you very much for your post and the links. For me too, the installation of XP, is not just to be a naughty guy ;) , but just because lot of my HW and SW related to Astronomy are not working properly under Vista!...

I am very interested in how you built your dual boot (which software, which partitioning,...) Could you pls be so kind to share this with me?

Best regards,
Guy

Gipsyman
29.01.2008, 14:38
The XP BIOS for the X200-G20 was not released. I didn’t find any XP BIOS for this notebook series on the Toshiba European driver page.
Please note that you can use only the BIOS which were designed especially for this notebook series!!!

guy77
29.01.2008, 15:20
> {quote:title=Gipsyman wrote:}{quote}
> The XP BIOS for the X200-G20 was not released. I didnâ??t find any XP BIOS for this notebook series on the Toshiba European driver page.
> Please note that you can use only the BIOS which were designed especially for this notebook series!!!

Well, excuse me *Gipsyman* I surely don't want to be a pest, but the need to install XP on the Toshba X200 20G (for example) is not a dream, it is a hard reality and in Europe I know tens of people (if not much many) who had to do so because their preloaded Vista was not at all answering their needs, and there was no longer Toshiba laptops available preloaded with XP.

I am member of a forum which is dedicated to the Toshiba X200, I can tell you that we love our Toshiba and are very happy ( /proud ?) of it and I am not sure how many have kept the original platform, but definitely it's very few.

By the way, Toshiba releases 32 drivers for XP in his European download page, so this does not happen by chance.

In fact lots of people are wondering for the BIOS compatibility under XP, so my purpose, asking this question earlier in this post, and trying to make our position clear in this one, is to make the part between what is the theory: e.g. "The Toshiba X200 is preloaded with Vista, all changes to XP is under customer responsibility and at his own risks" (let me smile a bit here as Thoshiba still kindly provides XP drivers....) and the reality: e.g. "hei guys!, be careful, if you update your BIOS while you are running XP, you take the risk to break something".... see what I mean?

I hope this clarifies what I (my European friends and I) need to know: what is the real risk of making BIOS updates while our laptops are running XP because we had to.

Pls, again, don't see anything aggressive in my lines (I really appreciate your help), just a willingness to make things clear.
Guy

Gipsyman
29.01.2008, 15:38
It’s me again ;)
I understand you very well buddy and I don't see anything aggressive in your message. ;)

I thought you would like to update the BIOS on this X200 to get a full XP support on the X200. But the fact is that there is no special XP BIOS version for X200… so it was only notification....

Best regards

guy77
29.01.2008, 15:50
Well!.... That's cool to read.... So we will continue making our BIOS updates, when they come, and take benefit of their support of XP, as much as they can do. :x

Tks *Gipsyman*,

Have a great day!
Guy

Message was edited by: guy77

Gipsyman
29.01.2008, 15:57
Best regards too ;) cu