PDA

View Full Version : Portage 3440 CT - can USB FDD be the A drive in win98?

Iddo
19.12.2007, 21:42
Hi All,

I would like to have the USB FDD that I connect to the Portage 3440 CT to have the drive letter A in win98.
When I connect it, the system automatically labels it D, but I need it for a program that uses the A letter for the floppy.

Any idea?

Cheers,

Iddo

kjo-538152471
20.12.2007, 00:09
Apparently your USB-FDD is not recognized as a normal FDD-drive

At first: check if there are special drivers needed in W98, normally you can find and download them at the manufacturer‚??s website

If that won't work you can try the following, I'm not totally sure it will work:

In W98 you have the possibility to assign your own Drive letter to external devices

Go to: control panel/system/device-manager: you should find your FDD-drive there ; right-click ,, then under 'properties' it should show the 'letter' assignment ; try to change it to 'A'

Success

Iddo
20.12.2007, 13:44
Hi kjo,

I have an original driver for the NEC FDD, but the computer still lists drive A as active (although not accesible), and I cannot rename any FDD to A.
Do you think that if I get the original Toshiba FDD (PA3043U-1FDD), and connect it under win98, it would be automatically recognized, and given the letter A?

Thanks,

Iddo

Jimi
20.12.2007, 18:21
I donít think that.
The internal FDD drive could be recognized as A (itís possible on my old non-Toshiba notebook using internal FDD drive) but all other external USB devices are recognized as F or G because the C and D is used for HDD partitions and E is used by CD/DVD drive.

kjo-538152471
20.12.2007, 19:12
+No, Jimi, a 3440 has no internal A-drive and has a external usb-FDD-drive which by the bios is assigned as A+

hmm, strange problem, normally any USB-FDD-drive should be recognized

1 did you connect it to another (desktop)PC ( without a internal A-drive ) and is it recognized there as a normal FDD-drive ??

2 can you use the FDD-drive as a boot-device ?? : try this :
change the boot-sequence in the bios to FDD-HDD ( hold ESC on start-up ) and start up with the connected FDD with a w98 bootdisk in it
If that does'nt work the FDD is faulty or not compatible
If that works it is a driver problem in W98, then remove the a-drive in control panel/system/device manager and start up again

I'm not sure if the original toshiba FDD-drive will solve the problem, but it is worth trying

By the way, did you ever consider to upgrade to Windows 2000 on your 3440 ??
W2k is the perfect OS for a 3440, much more possibilities and compatible drivers than w98 and it will run fast enough

Iddo
22.12.2007, 16:33
Hi kjo,

I'll start with the last - I need to work on win98 - program does not work on other os (at least I don't want to spend the money for upgrading). Also, I have winXP on the same machine, and in it, this external NEC USB FDD is recognized as A. In winXP, I think that the OS controls everything, but in win98, since the USB standard just came out, we are relying on a combination of bios and OS.

I guess, I'll spend a few $ and get the Toshiba one on eBay, and see how it works.

Thanks,

Iddo

Iddo
22.12.2007, 17:22
One more thing,

Does anyone know if the FDD had a driver (not one that came with win98) on the original disks that were supplied with the portage? Does anyone have a copy of these disks?

Thanks,

Iddo

Iddo
22.12.2007, 17:29
Hi kjo,

Lets start fron the last thing - I have to use win98 beacue of a program that only runs on it, and I don't want to spend big $ on upgrading it.

The machine also has winXP on it, and there the USB FDD (NEC), is recognized fine, and labled A.

The original Toshiba units that I saw for sale on eBay, all come without any drivers, so I am not sure how win98 will treat them.

Thanks,

Iddo

kjo-538152471
22.12.2007, 19:28
Yes, there is a special w98 usb-fdd-driver for your 3440 :

you can find it at the US-toshiba-website ( www.csd.toshiba.com )

Check this (http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_dtlViewDL.jsp?soid=106948&moid=1073769638&rpn=PP344U&BV_SessionID=@@@@0980554497.1198344262@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccciaddmleeihkjcgfkceghdgngdgnn.0&ct=DL&all_docs=false)

at this address you can find all special W98 drivers for the 3440, there are even more than one for a usb-fdd-drive
( use the menu on the left site of the link given )

Iddo
24.12.2007, 09:15
Hi kjo,

Thanks, this looks promising. I will give it a try on the NEC FDD, and if that doesn't work, I'll get myself one of the Toshiba drives that I've seen on eBay.
Thanks again, this is great.

Iddo