PDA

View Full Version : adding a new dvd/cdrw drive doesnt work on my SP 4600

tommyfox
14.03.2005, 00:14
Hi, my laptop comes with a cd-rom drive as standard and i have purchased a dvd/cdrw drive to replace it. when i fit it it seems to be powered because i can open the cd drawer and the light comes on when i turn on the computer. however it is not coming up in my computer.
i have tried several drives so the drive i am using is not faulty.

can someone please help me with this as i need the dvd function on my laptop for my job.

thanks alot

Tommy

Pedro
14.03.2005, 16:29
Hi

Is new device recognized by OS? Can you use it at all? Is there some error message or is deice just marked in device manager?

tommyfox
15.03.2005, 16:39
it is not recognised by os or in device manager. but it does power and open.

Miro
18.03.2005, 11:10
Hi

It is possible that there can be problem with master or slave status on this device. Where did you buy this device? Is this device produced by Toshiba or another producer?

no_user
26.04.2005, 21:05
Hi,
I have been experiencing similar problems to you:(
I have conducted extensive research and have discovered the following:
There are two types of drive used on earlier Tosh laptops.
These are M/S (master slave) drives and CSEL (cable select) drives. whilst the BIOS in later Tosh machines is able to recognise either type of drive:) the earlier machines can't:(
On Genuine Toshiba drives there is a sticker that labels the ATAPI pin outs, and on this sticker pin 47 will be labelled either CSEL or M/S.
Your replacement CD-rw/DVD drive must match the drive you are replacing in this respect or it will NOT be recognised.
If your drive is not a tosh drive the chances are high that it is CSEL as most other manufacturers use this configuration.
I am told that there is an internal mod that can be done to the drive to change this parameter but I have no info on this at present.
I will update on the forum if I get any more info.
Hope this helps you;)