PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Pro A10: DVD rom sd c2612 stopped reading disks completly

Triple_uk
19.08.2007, 23:55
Ok I have a Satellite Pro A10, recently its just stopped reading disks completly! Ive got no idea whats wrong with and not sure whether to think about replacing it? I would prefer not too.

If anyone has any advice on repairing it I would appreciate it. If not if anyone knows if there any DVD writing drives compatible? also where the best place to buy from?

Plz help!

Chad
21.08.2007, 11:36
Hi

This sounds not good :( I think it could be a hardware problem… maybe something wrong with the drive lens…
Anyway, usually it’s not possible to repair such issues or it’s not worth to repair because the costs are too high…
So, it looks like you have to replace it. But be careful. Not all drives are compatible because of different master/slave/c-sel settings.
So I would recommend contacting the ASP in your country to get a compatible drive.

But please try this proposal;
Sometimes the drive cannot read the medium due to wrong registry key.
Delete the Upper filter and Lower filter in this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

…and reboot the notebook. Maybe it helps

Good luck

TripleSeis
24.08.2007, 15:19
Hey its me again sorry about the name change lost my password! ok strangely it started working again for a day, and now has stopped again!

I want to try your idea but anychance you can be a bit more specific about what you mean by deleting filters. And how and where I can find them????

JackBlack
24.08.2007, 15:49
Try to remove the drive from the device manager.
After new reboot the OS should initialize and recognize the CD/DVD drive again.
Then type “regedit” in the “run” window.

The registry should open, then select the key mentioned above and remove the filter value at the right column.

This procedure is described here in the MS knowledge documents:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894730