PDA

View Full Version : Why does 60gb HD removal while in standby mode prevent XP pro install on any other HD?

itsmeyer1
05.08.2007, 11:19
The 60gb HD when refitted works perfectly, goes in and out of standby, and shuts down properly yet if I fit any other drive I'm unable to get a fresh intall of XP PRO to complete.
I think I have proved that the laptop itself retains the information of the illegal drive removal.
The xp installation gets as far as just before that first screen where it displays 39minutes to go or somesuch, shuts down displaying message
'a write operation was attempted to a volume after it was dismounted'
reboots to the SETUP IS RESTARTING and then goes in circles.
Any help much appreciated.

JohnnyS
05.08.2007, 14:56
Hi there,

so what did you? Installed a new drive or just refitted the old one? Maybe your drive is not properly mounted or maybe the drive is defective.

Did you checked your drive with some tools? A useful thing is the "UBCD - Ultimate Boot CD" where are many tools to check harddrives.

I would suggest you to check your drive with that CD.
Here´s the link to the image:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Pls give some feedback.

Greets

itsmeyer1
07.08.2007, 22:58
I have done all the tests ...ie written zero's to the whole drive and rewritten the mbr.I sure I have proved the 100gb drive is not faulty and I get the same install failure on another 20gb drive anyway.
Thats why I am at a loss to know what is happening.
The laptop itself must be storing the history of the illegal drive removal.

kjo-538152471
08.08.2007, 10:39
I can't imagine that the 'removal' is stored

*did you perform a complete 'new' XP installation on the 60gb drive succesfully ??

the method described in the R100 item (http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=19232)
should be able to install XP on any compatible C-drive in any portege laptop without an 'on-board' CDrom drive

the 'circling' of the installation is due to a problem with 'recognizing' the CDrom-drive on restart after the first installation-step ( by 'lack' of the proper drivers )
therefore it's absolutely mandatory to work in a DOS-environment and a fat32-formatted HD

you could also try the method with the HD-converter described in the thread where you putted your first comment