PDA

View Full Version : Whick linux distro would work on Satellite A100 ?

KEYTRONiC
25.06.2007, 17:40
Hi guys,
My notebook is Satellite A100-011 and im having problems choosing a working linux distribution. I've already tried SuSE 10.1, SuSE 9.3 and Knoppix 5.1.1, but none of them works. Respectively - the first is taking too long time analyzing the system, the second crashes while installer is running and the knoppix live cd couldn't even manage to load - an error pops up (though i don't exactly remember it)
Any suggestions ? Thanks in advance!

orzech-538431831
26.06.2007, 11:59
Hi!

You can try Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn. Installation process is quiet easy (but be carefull with partitioning, because the default scheme may erase disk). You shall not have problems with wifi, because distribution has native Intel drivers for Your card. If soundcard is compatible with SoundBlaster, there shall be no problems with that neither and if not, there are some howtos to enable sound on Ubuntu wiki (Kubuntu is exactly the same system as Ubuntu, but with KDE instead of Gnome preinstalled). Ubuntu repositories contain nVidia drivers too.

Oh, sometimes Kubuntu installer has problems with manual disk partitioning, but installing it on already prepared partitions (for example by using another distribution's installer) is a nice workaround for this.

Good luck! :)

Regards,
Orzech

KEYTRONiC
26.06.2007, 15:04
Thanks m8! I'll try it!

Open source matters!
Regardz:)