PDA

View Full Version : Tecra 9100: Delayed Write Failed - Hard Disks on their way out?

lewislite
16.05.2007, 13:49
Hello again,

I am a member of the dreaded 'Delayed Write Failed' error messages club and am certain my hard disks are to blame.

These errors pop-up when a rather large install is taking place or whenever my system is writing something big to my hard disks (which I might have to wait a while for to finish). It happened just now trying to install the Toshiba Bluetooth Stack. My laptop eventually froze during the installation and all I could do was move the cursor. About 30mins into the installation, I get several of these dumb error messages. They say 'Delayed Write Failed - File C:/xxxxx/xxx/xxxx was not saved perhaps due to a connection or hardware problem' (or something like that). When the messages pop-up there's almost no way to escape them apart from doing a power off. But when I power back on, I get the blue screen of death which checks my disk for inconsistencies. This is very annoying and worrying as this probably means that my hard disks must be cracking up.

After doing research many times on the matter I know it's my hard disks fault for sure. I have two hard disks; they both give me the error messages. They must be on their way out, afterall I did buy this laptop 2nd hand and they have been making strange 'ticking' noises. Recently I noticed one time they made a 'beep' 'beep' sound. Never heard it before so that can't be good.

Anyway, I believe I need new hard disks. Can anyone recommend me one or two that wont give me these error messages (and are relatively cheap with atleast 30Gb's)? Thanks

P.S When I opened PC health from the Toshiba Management Console it said 'the S.M.A.R.T hard disk (physical drive 0) may fail soon.' Yikes.

Jeffrey
16.05.2007, 15:46
Hi

Every HDD with the right hardware specifications could run on the Tecra 9100.
The HDD should support enhanced IDE (ATA-5) interface and should be not bigger than 60GB.
Iím sure that the Tecra 9100 BIOS will support 30GB, 40GB and maybe also the 60GB.
But bigger HDD sizes could be not recognized by BIOS correctly.

By the way; you can make a call to the authorized Toshiba service provider in your country and could order the compatible HDD.
In such case you will be 100% sure that the HDD is supported and will run without any problems.

3to4
16.05.2007, 17:41
I have put a 120GB hard drive in a Tecra 9100 without any problem. So, Tecra 9100 can at least take a 120GB hard drive. Incidentally, mine is a Fujitsu 120GB.

lewislite
18.05.2007, 11:07
What size does the hdd have to be and what do you think of this one?
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1392483630.117947900 8@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdkaddkmfemjjdcflgceggdhhmdgmj.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=037863&category_oid=-31457

I know it's a little off topic but what type of Ram should I buy? SD, DDR... pft I dunno... 512mb of ram would be nice.

Message was edited by: lewislite

3to4
18.05.2007, 19:11
This Samsung should work. For RAM, you need a DDR PC2100.