PDA

View Full Version : Need info about BIOS upgrading on Satellite Pro 6100

jrsnow
05.02.2007, 18:57
Toshiba says for the traditional Bios upgrade use the "toshisba Key" to the left of the spacebar for the 6100, I have tried this Nothing happens
the 6100 does Not turn on with this key, so info from Toshiba was inncorrect

And How risky are Bios upgrades run from windows

anyone upgraded the 6100 to vers 1.9 ? that's what i want to do
to stop that annoying USB dissappearance

Jack

electrochain
05.02.2007, 19:20
I have updated the BIOS to version 1.9 some years ago. I did not make use of the key although it should work this way, too.
The only thing you will need is an external floppy drive and the upgrade-bios boot disk, that is created with the utility provided by Toshiba.

Make the appropriate settings in the BIOS to start the bootup from Floppy disk. The procedure of the BIOS update is usually not risky at all. Just make sure you have a charged Battery and your notebook is powered by external means during the process. DON'T INTERRUPT THE UPGRADE PROCESS It won't take long at all until your notebook will reboot with the newer 1.9 version.

As about any improvements, I have not noticed any. Neither am I aware what exactly was fixed with the 1.9 version.
About the USB problem you were mentioning: I have posted in a different thread what changes somebody could try, to avoid loosing the USB devices:
http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=19446&messageID=72371

Give it a try and post your results please.

Regards
electrochain

jrsnow
05.02.2007, 19:37
yes I tried that Registry fix, sounded good, I know You know a lot about windows and
computers, but It did not work, unless I did not do it quite right
a friend of mine has the 6100 as well, and He has version 1.9, I saw it in the cmos
display and does Not have the usb issue, I have 1.7 vers and do have that problem
and I tried that Key on Both our 6100s and held it down for a long time....a minute
did nothing on the 2 6100s

Thank You for your Quick responce George...right?
this helps me greatly, telling Me about the direct boot from the prepared floppy
I had it here ready to go , but was a bit afraid to mess up the PC, because the instructions
were going to be So different from the ones on the website

electrochain
05.02.2007, 20:19
Too bad this registry fix did not help you :(
but,... since your friend with the newer BIOS does not have this USB issue, we can only hope, it was addressed to fix that USB problem.

Once you have the upgrade done and tested, please let us know about the results.

Good luck

electrochain

jrsnow
05.02.2007, 23:39
2 questions , are Bios upgrades from windows more risky then the traditional way?
have you ever tried that way? I will probably will do it the usual way tomorrow
this is just for My Own info

and...I wanted to send a small photo ( screen Capture) of the USB Patch I put into the Registry
I wanted you to see those entries, and tell me if it is right

Jack

Juan28
06.02.2007, 11:33
Hi

No, I donít think that the Bios upgrade from windows is more risky then the traditional way.
I found this info in the Toshiba document which describes the BIOS update procedures:

For the current range of Notebooks Toshiba offers two different BIOS update procedures.

1. Windows based update: BIOS is updated from within Windows.
2. Traditional update: BIOS is updated using a diskette or CD-ROM when booting.

We recommend updating the BIOS from within Windows.

electrochain
06.02.2007, 14:07
I updated the thread about the USB port. I added some easier steps to get this entry into your registry.
Here is a screenshot how it should look like afterwards:
http://anonym.shareinside.net/?http://tinyurl.com/ypppn5

Although Toshiba prefers the Windows BIOS update, a real DOS environment is a lot safer for a BIOS update. It's just more difficult to "explain" to somebody who has no experience with "Boot priority setting", "external drives", "Dos commands" and so on,... therefore I believe they suggest the Windows upgrade.
While on DOS, your computer is only occupied in doing what it is supposed to do... upgrading the BIOS. While Windows is running, you can never make sure a sudden BSOD will not pop up just like this. There are just too many background processes running like Antiviruses, Screensaver,blablabla etc which could (theoretically) harm the proper flow of data.

New Bios Firmware chips have a protection mechanism which will ALWAYS allow a reflashing of the BIOS (The Boot loader is never erased and the flashing is done in segments), even after a sudden power-loss. That's why it is NOW safe to use Windows update procedures as well.

I am expressing my own experience on the above statements (I enjoyed DOS since the early days of its appearance back in the 80's). Please feel free to follow whatever you believe is best for your system (or Toshiba's advises).

Best regards,
electrochain

jrsnow
06.02.2007, 19:30
I did the DOS, prepeared disk upgrade, to 1.9 it was fast and went well , like you said
but after the Standby, it was the same, USB Still asleep...upon closer examination
I rebooted , and Although the message after the Bios update was " bios Update a Success"
it was Still 1.7 , So then I tried the windows version of the Firmware upgrade
and it said this, "Common modules Not installed" or You Do not have Administration privilages to
run this Software....so that's where is sits Now....any advice ?

Message was edited by: jrsnow

jrsnow
06.02.2007, 19:34
although that is a poor quality screen capture , it looks the same as mine
I wonder if I download the Toshiba Power saver, if it would do any good, maybe
control the Standby or hibernate better, or does that utility just concern itself with Battery
power

Jack

electrochain
07.02.2007, 22:56
"Bios update succeeded" but still Version 1.7? Sounds really strange. Are you sure you selected "updating" in the options of the update-tool?
I have done this upgrade on my 6100 some years ago, so I don't really remember the options available in the upgrade-utility.

As for the other message "Common modules not installed",... this shows your are trying to run that tool directly. The BIOS-upgrade tool for windows needs to be started through the main Toshiba application which you use to make other BIOS related changes, too.

jrsnow
08.02.2007, 00:59
Final Note on this.. Downloaded the common modiules file, and then ran the Windows Bios update file, and it ran smooth, usual warnings about don't touch mouse or interrupt etc
and it reboots for you, and lo and behold Bios vers 1.9 , and it worked

USB does not dissappear after standby or Hibernate, I'm Happy as a clam!