PDA

View Full Version : Need advice about WinXP/2000 installation on Satellite Pro 4270

PeteV
17.01.2007, 12:43
Hi!

(Sorry for the redundancy of this topic on this forum, too.)

Please, any hint on this strange problem will be much appreciated.

I bought a second-hand Satellite Pro 4270, with the 6GB disk totally emptied, a quite neat and seemingly well kept machine ...

But, when trying to do a Win2000Pro new clean install on it, as previously successfully tens of times on other PC machines, the installation will be ending in a minute after it's start with error 4 on setupdd.sys!

On WinXPPro new clean install the procedure will got stuck in less than 10 seconds without any error message at all ...

So, what could be the reason causing this?

I have been trying numerous different corrective actions on this machine and guessing several reasons causing this, e.g.

- the hard disk is working all well on other machines and has also been fully checked and low-level formatted
- the several tried installation CD copies are working all well on other machines
- the BIOS was updated to v2.70 just a while ago
- the CMOS was powered off i.e. defaulted a few times a while ago
- the machine has been ripped off to the minumum regarding the PCI, USB, audio, memory etc.
- can the machine be locked somehow strangely, somewhere else than on the BIOS or hard disk?
- is there some "odd" IDE or other driver now missing on this case?
- trials with Win98SE and FAT32 installation will not lead to any better result, just somehow different ...

Best regards,

Pete V.

PeteV
19.01.2007, 01:53
Hi!

After some more investigation, I have come to a conclusion that this may be a display driver issue, or maybe some other driver ...

A standard Win98SE or Win2000Pro CD probably do not include the special drivers, e.g. S3 Savage MX/IX Display Driver, needed to get the installation process to start, and further, some WinXP versions of them may not exist at all ...

If the above is true, I would need a Toshiba Recovery CD for SP4270 and Win2000Pro to get this installation done.

So, the point of this issue would be changed into how to obtain one, from a retail/engineering shop or Toshiba, or, how to myself make one something like streamlining a SPx CD ...

Please, still any hints on this are welcome.

Best regards,

Pete V.

Mike30
19.01.2007, 13:36
Hello Pete

It is really bad situation. If you make clean OS installation you donā??t need any special drivers. Everything must be preinstalled when OS installation is successfully finished.

If you have some replacement HDD you should try to use it and see if HDD is definitely not responsible for this. The fact is that W2000 and WXP can be successfully installed on many other older notebook models and because of that I can not imagine it is not possible to do the same on your unit.

Fact is that W2000 is supported for this unit and you can find all W2000 drivers on Toshiba download page.

PeteV
23.01.2007, 00:09
Hi!

Thanks for your reply Mike30.

OK, I have already been doing quite many trials/checkings regarding different hard disks, different OS' and installation CD's etc., so, the point may not be just there, but anyway probably very close there ...

An interesting result has been, that with a Win98SE boot diskette normal boot, or installation-CD safe boot (F5), I have got the C:\ drive containing a clone copy of a working Win98SE/FAT32 system on the disk seen properly and in full in DOS, as well as fdisk and a separate bootable Partition Commander v9.01 behaving all properly and showing correct properties of it.

This do clearly indicate, that there is no serious hardware problems involved, rather some slight logical problem, e.g. missing/corrupted link to get a proper start for any Windows OS installation.

After reading through on these pages several other topics close to this problem of mine, I now found this topic http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=19232, somehow reminding mine, which is actually more simple, as I do not have any external USB diskette or CD drives involved. I'll be checking this hard drive total cleaning, FAT32 formatting, NTFS converting etc. procedure tomorrow, even already done trials like this a few times with some other same type of tools.

I'll come back soon on this, hopefully with some new exciting results ...

Best regards,

Pete V.

PeteV
25.01.2007, 01:03
Hi!

For info, I did try the delpart.exe disk cleaning and FAT32 formatting procedures on the HDD, but sorry, still no dice ...

Any further hints on the mobo/chipset/IDE/HDD/MBR etc. area, or close to them, much appreciated.

P.S. How about the Toshiba IDE driver copied/loaded during the beginning phase of a Win2000Pro installation procedure, could it possibly have something to do with this problem?

Best regards,

Pete V.

PeteV
31.01.2007, 01:11
Hi!

After some more trials/investigations I may have got this case one step ahead.

The problem may reside on the fact that the basic 64MB memory on the mobo is faulty from 1.1MB on, and thus larger programs will not have good memory enough to load at all, but, up to 640kB and some more 460kB filling DOS programs still running well ...

I'll open another thread for this memory issue and continue there, maybe coming back to this thread for a conclusive comment.

Best regards,

Pete V.