PDA

View Full Version : Unable to use recovery CD after BIOS upgrade on Tecra 9000.

vdarbinyan
13.01.2007, 18:49
Unable to recover system (Windows 2000) after BIOS upgrade on Tecra 9000. Recovery CD says that "this is a wrong machine". Can I revert to old BIOS? Any other solution?

electrochain
14.01.2007, 17:56
It seems like the DMI settings got messed up and the software does not recognize your Laptop as a TECRA 9000 anymore

Try this DMI-restore utility from Toshiba's website:
http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/support/downloads/toshdmi10.exe

It should make your computer be recognized correctly again.

If you don't want to use the above utility, you can as well try to make a recovery the manual way ;) :
It might work, or not. Please be so kind to come back and report your success.

1. insert your recovery cd
2. boot your system using the recovery cd (Until you will get the WRONG MACHINE ERROR)
3. change to the drive letter of the cd (It can be "q:" or something else, try to find out what driveletter is assigned to your drive)
4. go to the "base" folder by typing "cd base" and press <enter>
5. Now type "os.bat" and this will start the ghosting process
6. your system should start the normal recovery to the factory settings

Regards

electrochain

Ivan25
15.01.2007, 15:26
Hi

Maybe electrochain can confirm but I don’t believe it is the best idea to mix designed stuff for US and European notebook models.

Can you please confirm if method described in previous posting works?

electrochain
15.01.2007, 16:51
Ivan25,

as you correctly assume, it's not a good idea to mix european with US stuff.

Let's understand what we are talking about and what this utility does:
Applications such as those on the CD-Recovery identify your system through the DMI (Desktop Managment Interface).
If the DMI looses it's factory programmed information, then programs that rely on those information will not work (like
the CD-Recovery). The purpose of this Toshiba made utility is to make your Laptop report the correct information again.

I'll add another link that can make a backup of your currently stored information in the DMI, so that you can revert
the information to their current state:
Please note, this application runs on true DOS environment only (Boot into DOS):
http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?s=16df4d36e5010d8f37a0adcfcb4c4734&act=attach&type=post&id=896

If you don't feel comfortable with all the above and want to be safe, you should follow the 2nd procedure I
describe in my 1st post. It's easier to follow and for less technical stuff familiarized people. :)

Regards

electrochain

Ivan25
15.01.2007, 17:38
Thanks electrochain for your posting. I really appreciate it and it is very nice to learn more about usage of Toshiba notebooks.

I use them for a long time but I am not familiar with this ‘specific’ stuff. I just know that identifying recovery media on US models is a little bit complicated as on European models and US notebook model needs more info to identify right recovery media.

Maybe I am wrong but I have understood that BIOS update has nothing to do with DMI information and this information must be updated after motherboard replacement by service and not by user itself. Because of that I am a little bit confused about first posting and try to understand what is wrong there.

I can really not imagine it is possible to ‘bypass’ this message while in this way you can maybe use recovery CD for Tecra 9100 and try to install it on Tecra 9000.

Anyway thanks again for all your interesting postings. It is pleasant to read more about mobile computing and useful troubleshooting method.

Have a nice day :)

electrochain
15.01.2007, 21:08
Thank you Ivan25,

is it really necessary to send your Laptop to the service center for a firmware update?
As you know, some users do, because if a firmware update fails, you WILL have to carry your Laptop to the service center.

This DMI restore utility is quite safe to use. As I tried to explain earlier, it is just updating the log of all the equipment (serial numbers, model numbers,...) a Laptop has. (Of course you have to follow this procedure, too when you change the motherboard). This information is stored in a special area on the cmos, to allow "modern" applications and OS identify your system properly. (imagine this DMI like your health card where all info about you is recorded and available for the hospital doctors ;) )

Because you were asking why updating the DMI since we deal with a problem after BIOS upgrade, well, this is my answer:

Older BIOS versions did not have the DMI information support implemented. That's why this space was still empty.
If you do a BIOS upgrade on an OLDER notebook, it is more common that the DMI tool will also be required (For initial setup).

This is the connection why I suggest DMI upgrade, although our friend here made a BIOS update and is asking himself why the recovery cd won't work anymore.

Of course he can bring his Laptop to the service center ANYTIME. They will easily sort this problem out and he wont fear, risking the faith of his equipment to us, some computer enthusiasts.

Regards, and have a great day, too ;)
electrochain

Message was edited by: electrochain

P.S. I just found the official explanation from TOSHIBA; Here is the link:
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_dtlView.jsp?soid=1010703